Old 27-08-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans

Yesterday's message to the group must have gone astray, so to repeat. After
a good crop of Scarlet Emperor last year, this year's has been a disaster -
blossoms failing to set and what was left, deformed. I understand that
runners don't like being sown in the same spot two successive years, but it
is the only free space I have. Is there someway of feeding the plot so that
it receives what it has lost?
Alistair

Old 27-08-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Aug, 14:42, "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:
Yesterday's message to the group must have gone astray, so to repeat. After
a good crop of Scarlet Emperor last year, this year's has been a disaster -
blossoms failing to set and what was left, deformed. I understand that
runners don't like being sown in the same spot two successive years, but it
is the only free space I have. Is there someway of feeding the plot so that
it receives what it has lost?

Too much nitrogen and therefore your second crop didn't cope. I would
plant winter greens now. But why go against nature? Are runner beans
the only veg you grow? If not you must rotate your plots or you will
fail whatever crop you sow on the same plot year after year (and
increase risk of disease if you haven't done so). There's nothing to
add other than finding another plot for your runners beans next year
or give a break (a season) to that plot.

Old 27-08-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice which is unfortunately what I expected. All options
have been considered, but after over 40 years of tending a large and
productive vegetable plot, I have now partly paved it over and planted a
dozen fruit bushes, and a herb patch all of which are flourishing. The
reason. I am approaching 90 and a spade is anathema. Next move - pave the
bean patch!
Alistair

Old 27-08-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Aug, 17:31, "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:
Thanks for the advice which is unfortunately what I expected. All options
have been considered, but after over 40 years of tending a large and
productive vegetable plot, I have now partly paved it over and planted a
dozen fruit bushes, and a herb patch all of which are flourishing. The
reason. I am approaching 90 and a spade is anathema. Next move - pave the
bean patch!

I knew you would have known already and it's so so great that you're
nearly 90 and kept that garden going. Why don't you divide that bit of
plot in 3 or 4? You can still grow lots of stuff on a little plot -
how big is it?! With one square foot per crop, you'd have enough to
harvest and enjoy - and then you'd be able to rotate. Please think
about it, sounds so sad you'd give up! Have you considered using pots
too?

Old 27-08-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Yesterday's message to the group must have gone astray, so to repeat. After
a good crop of Scarlet Emperor last year, this year's has been a disaster -
blossoms failing to set and what was left, deformed. I understand that
runners don't like being sown in the same spot two successive years, but it
is the only free space I have. Is there someway of feeding the plot so that
it receives what it has lost?

Too much nitrogen and therefore your second crop didn't cope. I would
plant winter greens now. But why go against nature? Are runner beans
the only veg you grow? If not you must rotate your plots or you will
fail whatever crop you sow on the same plot year after year (and
increase risk of disease if you haven't done so). There's nothing to
add other than finding another plot for your runners beans next year
or give a break (a season) to that plot.

OTOH I have grown runner beans in the same position (arch over a path) for
5 years and this year has been the best ever.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

Old 27-08-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Aug, 20:28, Paul Luton wrote:
OTOH I have grown runner beans in the same position (arch over a path) for
5 years and this year has been the best ever.

Lucky you. Do you dig a trench?

Old 28-08-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com
La Puce wrote:

On 27 Aug, 20:28, Paul Luton wrote:
OTOH I have grown runner beans in the same position (arch over a path) for
5 years and this year has been the best ever.

Lucky you. Do you dig a trench?

Admittedly yes - but shortage of space means that the soil is not
substantially changed if that was your point.

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM