Old 30-08-2007, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Help needed please

I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with this fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is with the
long headers:

" From:
Subject: Hello All
Date: 29 August 2007 22:47:30 BDT

Hi All,
*
Hope your all ok?,*i like your*website you have created, it has come in
verry handy for this contact to.
*
We ( Myself, Mum & Dad ) are planning on coming down to see Mark over this
weekend ( 1st & 2nd Sep ) down in Wiltshire, and were then planning on
coming down to see you all on Monday ( 3rd September )afternoon sometime if
this would be ok.*Sorry it is*short notice but we hope you will all be
there.
*
Really look forward to seing you.
*
Love
*
Simon & Familly"

Answers on here or by email, whichever is preferred.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2007, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:14:55 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with this
fake email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is
with the long headers:

Looks to me like mistaken identity, not a fake mail. Yes, the
originating smtp server is at freeserve, not pipex, but that sort of
thing is not uncommon - My mails originate at f2s.com but my return
address is at mail.com. He's obviously not blacklisted either, your spam
checker

There is nothing in the header to suggest forgery. And no payload.

Why not drop this chap a line, and see if he has mistaken you for Rob
Hubbard in Newton Abbot?

Bob

PS: you have just posted your email address "in the clear" without the
word 'weed' in it. Expect cybervisitors.

--
Bob Harvey OETKB
Old 30-08-2007, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert Harvey" wrote in message
news
[...]

Doesn't the line ""Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:47:31 +0200 (CEST)"" show that it is
from Europe somewhere?

Mike
not a computer expert

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 30-08-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 30, 12:14 am, Sacha wrote:
I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with this fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is with the
long headers:

" From:
Date: 29 August 2007 22:47:30 BDT

Snip

Wanadoo is French isn't it? We have Wanadoo but I won't be coming to
see you on Monday I'm afraid. The English is not good but that could
just be sloppy, I get like that sometimes. Spelling mistakes "verry"
and "to" which should be too. Also "familly" which is also
incorrect. Hmmnn.

Judith

Old 30-08-2007, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 10:16, in article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 30, 12:14 am, Sacha wrote:
I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with this fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is with the
long headers:

" From:
Date: 29 August 2007 22:47:30 BDT

Snip

Wanadoo is French isn't it? We have Wanadoo but I won't be coming to
see you on Monday I'm afraid. The English is not good but that could
just be sloppy, I get like that sometimes. Spelling mistakes "verry"
and "to" which should be too. Also "familly" which is also
incorrect. Hmmnn.

Judith

I certainly wondered about those mistakes myself. But while Wanadoo is
French, they own Orange in UK and my account is with Orange, so I don't
think that's significant in itself. I have my own theory about the area
this came from but I'm wondering if anyone else comes up with an answer,
too.

Old 30-08-2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote...
I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with
this fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is
with the
long headers:

snip

One of these IT security guys might be able to help:
http://www.transceiver.co.uk/txt/simon.html

--
Noel

Old 30-08-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:16:54 +0000, wrote:
Wanadoo is French isn't it?

Wannabe bought Freeswerve, so it's a bit international by now.

--
Bob Harvey OETKB
Old 30-08-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 12:07, in article ,
"Ildhund" wrote:

Sacha wrote...
I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with
this fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is
with the
long headers:

snip

One of these IT security guys might be able to help:
http://www.transceiver.co.uk/txt/simon.html

Amazing!

Old 30-08-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with this fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is with
the
long headers:

Do we get to hear the end result?

Good or bad?

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 30/8/07 10:16, in article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 30, 12:14 am, Sacha wrote:
I'd be most grateful if some computer experts could help me with this
fake
email I received tonight. We know nobody of this name. Here it is with
the
long headers:

" From:
Date: 29 August 2007 22:47:30 BDT

Snip

Wanadoo is French isn't it? We have Wanadoo but I won't be coming to
see you on Monday I'm afraid. The English is not good but that could
just be sloppy, I get like that sometimes. Spelling mistakes "verry"
and "to" which should be too. Also "familly" which is also
incorrect. Hmmnn.

Judith

I certainly wondered about those mistakes myself. But while Wanadoo is
French, they own Orange in UK and my account is with Orange, so I don't
think that's significant in itself. I have my own theory about the area
this came from but I'm wondering if anyone else comes up with an answer,
too.
--
Sacha

And was there an answer?

Who was it?

Did we get to hear what it was all about?

Was it a mistake on Sacha's part?

An explanation would be nice, after all, when someone comes on here and asks
a question, there are answers or suggestions from the readers and there is
no response or a thank you from the original poster, remarks are sometimes
made.

Kindest possible regards. :-))

Mike

Old 03-09-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi All,

Hope your all ok?, i like your website you have created, it has come in
verry handy for this contact to.

We ( Myself, Mum & Dad ) are planning on coming down to see Mark over this
weekend ( 1st & 2nd Sep ) down in Wiltshire, and were then planning on
coming down to see you all on Monday ( 3rd September )afternoon sometime
if
this would be ok. Sorry it is short notice but we hope you will all be
there.

Really look forward to seing you.

Love

Simon & Familly"

Question. Did Simon come down and visit this afternoon?

The suspense is killing ;-)

And who *IS* Simon?

Kind regards

Mike

Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "'Mike'" contains these words:

The suspense is killing ;-)

We live in hope...

--
AnneJ

That we get an answer too?

Oh; I am 'SO' pleased it's not just me ;-)

I feel we have a troll alert with the OP.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 03-09-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from "'Mike'" contains these words:

The suspense is killing ;-)

We live in hope...

That we get an answer too?
Oh; I am 'SO' pleased it's not just me ;-)
I feel we have a troll alert with the OP.

My response was to the word "killing".

--
AnneJ

If you don't quit, and don't cheat, and don't run home
when trouble arrives, you can only win.
~Shelley Long

Bad girl AnneJ!

Judith