Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-08-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Figs

I planted 2 small fig trees in large pots in front of my south/Westish
facing house wall about 18 months ago. They have flourished quietly
and put on a good 10 to 15 cm worth of growth. Imagine my delight
when, looking at them yesterday evening, I noticed 4 tiny weeny figs
on one of them!!!
The other one doesn't have any. So, I am wondering a few things -
which I shouldn't have to ask, seen as I was surrounded by fig trees
in my golden frog youth (although my powers of observation at the time
was limited to scoffing over-ripe fruit in September...)

1) why did one of my trees not have figs - are there male/female
trees?
2) I never noticed any flowers - I must obviously have missed them.
And they must be very discrete? I read a particularly daft novel (not
recommended) called the Chinese-English dictionary for lovers, where
it is stated that figs don't have flowers - hardly true?

Anyway, I am quite chuffed, because I was worried my little fig trees
may come to nothing, or go belly up. That said, I don't expect the
fruit to ever come to much, never mind be edible!!

Cat(h)

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM