Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Figs

This was such an interesting read I thought I'd share it. There's no
doubt about it, it's useless to try to grow figs in England. I've
brought back several home made fig jam from my uncle - heavenly stuff
indeed )

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9034227/fig
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9034228/fig-wasp

Old 02-09-2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 La Puce wrote:

There's no
doubt about it, it's useless to try to grow figs in England.

No, that's not true.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 02-09-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:53:18 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 La Puce wrote:

There's no
doubt about it, it's useless to try to grow figs in England.

No, that's not true.

David

Anyway, I'm not in England.

Cat(h) (I'm not trying to grow figs, merely trying to ensure that my
fig trees thrive - and so far, so good:-)
Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Sep, 13:21, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:53:18 +0100, David Rance
wrote:
No, that's not true.

Anyway, I'm not in England.
Cat(h) (I'm not trying to grow figs, merely trying to ensure that my
fig trees thrive - and so far, so good:-)

By an amazing coincidence a friend popped in (to borrow our stone
grinder) and told me her friend grows the most amazing crop of figs.
This year wasn't as good as last year. I'm going to investigate this
because if you're, Cath, drooling thinking of sw france figs - I'm
crying out for them too!!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:53:18 +0100, David Rance wrote:
There's no
doubt about it, it's useless to try to grow figs in England.

No, that's not true.

Indeed. My neighbour grows a fig in a small plot surrounded by 4 6"
fence panels to give shelter [1]. It fruits most years.

Half way up Steep Hill in Lincoln a fig tree grows in a tiny brick-walled
garden. The tree hangs over the wall and I have picked and eaten figs
from it on the odd occasion over 30 years.

[1] Yes, there is a gate to get in. Don't be pedantic.

--
Bob Harvey OETKB

Old 03-09-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Sep, 22:29, Robert Harvey wrote:
Indeed. My neighbour grows a fig in a small plot surrounded by 4 6"
fence panels to give shelter [1]. It fruits most years.
Half way up Steep Hill in Lincoln a fig tree grows in a tiny brick-walled
garden. The tree hangs over the wall and I have picked and eaten figs
from it on the odd occasion over 30 years.
[1] Yes, there is a gate to get in. Don't be pedantic.

)

It is a real eye opener - it really is. I have never seen a fig tree
in England proving it's worth nor full of fruits. I have always seen
them either beautifully in leaf but with either no fruits or someone
saying that it produces nothing or hardly anything. I had never given
it another thought. I am now really interested because I have always
like the shape very much. It's good to talk!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 2 Sep, 22:29, Robert Harvey wrote:
Indeed. My neighbour grows a fig in a small plot surrounded by 4 6"
fence panels to give shelter [1]. It fruits most years.
Half way up Steep Hill in Lincoln a fig tree grows in a tiny brick-walled
garden. The tree hangs over the wall and I have picked and eaten figs
from it on the odd occasion over 30 years.
[1] Yes, there is a gate to get in. Don't be pedantic.

)

It is a real eye opener - it really is. I have never seen a fig tree
in England proving it's worth nor full of fruits. I have always seen
them either beautifully in leaf but with either no fruits or someone
saying that it produces nothing or hardly anything. I had never given
it another thought. I am now really interested because I have always
like the shape very much. It's good to talk!

We have one just around the corner to us. South Coast Isle of Wight. Fruits
very well most years.

And, I yesterday I was in Burley in the New Forest and the Cafe I had my
lunch in had one in the garden, and in fruit, but not a very healthy
specimen and not much fruit

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 2 Sep, 22:29, Robert Harvey wrote:
Indeed. My neighbour grows a fig in a small plot surrounded by 4 6"
fence panels to give shelter [1]. It fruits most years.
Half way up Steep Hill in Lincoln a fig tree grows in a tiny brick-walled
garden. The tree hangs over the wall and I have picked and eaten figs
from it on the odd occasion over 30 years.
[1] Yes, there is a gate to get in. Don't be pedantic.

)

It is a real eye opener - it really is. I have never seen a fig tree
in England proving it's worth nor full of fruits. I have always seen
them either beautifully in leaf but with either no fruits or someone
saying that it produces nothing or hardly anything. I had never given
it another thought. I am now really interested because I have always
like the shape very much. It's good to talk!

Just down the road from me, in the garden of what used to be the cottage of
the head gardener of the estate of a mill owner, who produced fruit & veg
for the house and for sale to the workers, is a fig, which was there when I
moved here in the 80s, and which has had little or no attention from a
succession of owners, and which has cropped heavily every year, except this
year, which has been poor, probably due to the lousy summer.

I have two figs in my own garden, one juvenile grown from a cutting from the
one down the road, which has not produced at all this year, and another, a
Brown Turkey, which usually crops well, but has only peoduced about 20 ripe
fruits this year. I think that is partly due to the weather and partly due
to quite severe pruning last autumn.

My experience is that figs are worth a try in the UK, but they're probably
never going to crop like they do in the south of France or Italy.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Where abouts are you in the UK?

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM