Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blight Resistant Potatoes

, I, Marvo, say :

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

None of those minor details have a lot to do with our respective
biochemistries, which is the aspect that is relevant. And the
last is a purely anthropocentric viewpoint.

Well said.

Well said indeed.

[goes off to consult one of those big dictionaries ...]

Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote
Making it slug-resistant would be a Bad Idea. We aren't much different
from slugs, in the grand scheme of things, and it would probably have
undesirable consequences for humans.
Nick Maclaren.

I must agree. A relative of mine wouldn't eat organically grown vegetables
grown in her own garden by her husband due to the slugs, caterpillars,
aphids etc on them, which she found disgusting. She preferred to buy
"clean" vegetables from the supermarket with no bugs on them. She wasn't
bothered about GM or chemicals because she couldn't see them.

I take the opposite view that a dozen slugs can't be wrong! If they are
eating my cabbages it is because they are good wholesome vegetables.
Anyway - it is easier to rinse and strain cabbage leaves if they come
pre-drilled with drainage holes :-)

That may be the case with cabbages but with potatoes the ground slugs can
reduce the crop to below what you planted. That does, of course, depend on
variety but it has happened to us and it's not uncommon for us to throw away
half our crop because of slug damage if we try something new. This area must
be the ground slug capital of the world!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-09-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Sep, 09:02, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
I must agree. A relative of mine wouldn't eat organically grown vegetables
grown in her own garden by her husband due to the slugs, caterpillars,
aphids etc on them, which she found disgusting. She preferred to buy "clean"
vegetables from the supermarket with no bugs on them.

Here something for that relative of yours - preferably tell him/her
over xmas dinner ;o)

Earthworms are 70% protein and soaking them in water overnight will
purge them of soil. Ants have a vinegary taste; in countries such as
Thailand ant juice is sometimes substituted for recipes that call for
lemon. Honey bees, a worldwide favourite, are edible at all stages of
growth, larval, pupal and adult. Boiling breaks down the poison in
their stingers. Moths are said to taste like almonds and have the
advantage of being easy to catch with a bright light. Termites are
second only to grasshoppers as the most commonly eaten insect and in
Nigeria you can buy termite stock cubes. Fly larvae - or maggots - are
rich in calories and protein. Scoop them off decomposed meat, wash in
cold water, boil and they're ready to eat. 'In the natural, they are
easy to capture and often found in clusters in such places as road
kill,' advises one source. Crickets can be an excellent and healthy
alternative to meat. 100g of crickets contains 12g of protein and only
5.5g of fat. 100g of beef has more protein - 18 percent - but also has
18 percent fat burp

La Puce

Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 3, 9:02 am, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
Making it slug-resistant would be a Bad Idea. We aren't much different
from slugs, in the grand scheme of things, and it would probably have
undesirable consequences for humans.
Nick Maclaren.

I must agree. A relative of mine wouldn't eat organically grown vegetables
grown in her own garden by her husband due to the slugs, caterpillars,
aphids etc on them, which she found disgusting. She preferred to buy "clean"
vegetables from the supermarket with no bugs on them. She wasn't bothered
about GM or chemicals because she couldn't see them.

I take the opposite view that a dozen slugs can't be wrong! If they are
eating my cabbages it is because they are good wholesome vegetables.
Anyway - it is easier to rinse and strain cabbage leaves if they come
pre-drilled with drainage holes :-)

David.

I'm not too keen on slugs but I would eat the snails, properly purged
and prepared.

Judith