Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blight Resistant Potatoes

Just found this article which sounds interesting, anyone for GM potatoes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3066471.stm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote...
Just found this article which sounds interesting, anyone for GM potatoes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3066471.stm

And some more info...
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030719/fob1.asp

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-09-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Just found this article which sounds interesting, anyone for GM potatoes.
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3066471.stm

Now, that is an environmentally beneficial use of GM. Because the
gene comes from a closely-related plant, the chances of unexpected
side-effects are minimised (not nil, but minimised), and it would
have the effect of vastly reducing the need for some extremely
nasty pesticides. There was a similar project for rust resistance
in wheat, using a gene from a closely-related grass.

As distinct from several of the things that Monsanto has done.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

| Just found this article which sounds interesting, anyone for GM
potatoes.
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3066471.stm

Now, that is an environmentally beneficial use of GM. Because the
gene comes from a closely-related plant, the chances of unexpected
side-effects are minimised (not nil, but minimised), and it would
have the effect of vastly reducing the need for some extremely
nasty pesticides. There was a similar project for rust resistance
in wheat, using a gene from a closely-related grass.

As distinct from several of the things that Monsanto has done.

After this year I would actually be interested, never thought I would say
that about a GM plant. The interesting thing is that Gene could be inserted
into all/any of our existing potato varieties so all would become Blight
Resistant hopefully without any adverse effects on flavour/texture etc.
Wonder if they could also make them all slug resistant in a similar way
whilst they are at it. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-09-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Sep, 17:33, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
After this year I would actually be interested, never thought I would say
that about a GM plant.

Crikey! I'm sure you've thought about this but what about planting
your spuds earlier and harvest before end of July, even earlier!
Forget about the 'traditional' easter planting, the broadbeans in
winter etc.etc. Our climate is changing so rapidly, I think it's now
time to trust our individual land, plots, gardens, climates, well
basically we need to follow our instincts. I find it almost a constant
contradiction when it comes to planting time and would never look at
GM. It's like forgetting about plant companionship and resorts to all
sorts of chemicals to kill anything moving out there, because someone
else's says it worked, for a while. I remember the arguements we've
had about broadbeans planting time - it's perhaps sad to have to say
this, but the old days are gone, and we need to look at our changing
climate and our changing gardening practices.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:15:47 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote...
Just found this article which sounds interesting, anyone for GM potatoes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3066471.stm

And some more info...
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030719/fob1.asp

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Hi,

....but are these technically GM? Well, only as far as say F1 hybrids
are, it's still potato x potato ... if it was part of a carrot gene for
example, I'd say "yeah, GM" because it is a cross that would be
impossible naturally, but potato x potato? Are you sure it's GM?

--
John38
Old 02-09-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 2 Sep, 17:05, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Just found this article which sounds interesting, anyone for GM potatoes.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3066471.stm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Bring it on - sooner the better.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| After this year I would actually be interested, never thought I would say
| that about a GM plant. The interesting thing is that Gene could be inserted
| into all/any of our existing potato varieties so all would become Blight
| Resistant hopefully without any adverse effects on flavour/texture etc.
| Wonder if they could also make them all slug resistant in a similar way
| whilst they are at it. :-)

It could, but unfortunately it will be only into the modern commercial
varieties :-(

Making it slug-resistant would be a Bad Idea. We aren't much different
from slugs, in the grand scheme of things, and it would probably have
undesirable consequences for humans.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

famously some scientists produced slug resistant clover then let the sheep out
to graze on it and they all dropped down dead. Turned ut that
--

addy gill[at]pcservicesreading[dot]co[dot]uk the clover was slug resistant
because the leaves were producing cyanogenic glycosides that is whe bitten the

Gill M

Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after...
,
"Bob Hobden" wrote

| After this year I would actually be interested, never thought I would
say
| that about a GM plant. The interesting thing is that Gene could be
inserted
| into all/any of our existing potato varieties so all would become
Blight
| Resistant hopefully without any adverse effects on flavour/texture etc.
| Wonder if they could also make them all slug resistant in a similar way
| whilst they are at it. :-)

It could, but unfortunately it will be only into the modern commercial
varieties :-(

Making it slug-resistant would be a Bad Idea. We aren't much different
from slugs, in the grand scheme of things, and it would probably have
undesirable consequences for humans.

I suppose it wouldn't be cost effective to insert the "wild potato" gene
into any but the commercially grown potatoes. Sad but true.
Well "Kestral" and others have some slug resistance so that may also be down
to a gene which could be transferred, and "Kestral" is quite a nice spud,
hasn't poisoned us yet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-09-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Making it slug-resistant would be a Bad Idea. We aren't much different
from slugs, in the grand scheme of things, and it would probably have
undesirable consequences for humans.
Nick Maclaren.

I must agree. A relative of mine wouldn't eat organically grown vegetables
grown in her own garden by her husband due to the slugs, caterpillars,
aphids etc on them, which she found disgusting. She preferred to buy "clean"
vegetables from the supermarket with no bugs on them. She wasn't bothered
about GM or chemicals because she couldn't see them.

I take the opposite view that a dozen slugs can't be wrong! If they are
eating my cabbages it is because they are good wholesome vegetables.
Anyway - it is easier to rinse and strain cabbage leaves if they come
pre-drilled with drainage holes :-)

David.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Making it slug-resistant would be a Bad Idea. We aren't much different
from slugs, in the grand scheme of things, and it would probably have
undesirable consequences for humans.

That's a very interesting point of view and one I wouldn't have thought of.
Thank you, Nick.

Mary

Old 03-09-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

I take the opposite view that a dozen slugs can't be wrong! If they are
eating my cabbages it is because they are good wholesome vegetables.
Anyway - it is easier to rinse and strain cabbage leaves if they come
pre-drilled with drainage holes :-)

LOL!

I made a discovery earlier in this Year of Slugs. I've only found one slug
per cabbage! Is this a well known phenomenon or have I just been lucky (or
short sighted!)?

Mary

David.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

We aren't much
different from slugs, in the grand scheme of things

I have thought about this, and I'm not sure that I can agree with you :-)

We have several things a slug doesn't have, such as an opposable thumb, not
to mention a couple of feet, etc.

And we don't rob other people's veg (except for pikeys).

Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| We aren't much
| different from slugs, in the grand scheme of things
|
| I have thought about this, and I'm not sure that I can agree with you :-)
|
| We have several things a slug doesn't have, such as an opposable thumb, not
| to mention a couple of feet, etc.
|
| And we don't rob other people's veg (except for pikeys).

None of those minor details have a lot to do with our respective
biochemistries, which is the aspect that is relevant. And the
last is a purely anthropocentric viewpoint.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.