Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Concrete Base for a Greenhouse

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:25:05 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:52:10 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

3 Cubic Metres?

THREE?

That is one hell of a lot of concrete. Me thinks you have something wrong
there.

Mike

The greenhouse is going to sit on a 2' wall to protect from potential
flooding. This years rains put the bottom of my garden in 6 inch of
water.
-Iain

How do you get in without the water getting in?

Or are you going to allow the water to get in, but everything is going to be
on staging?

Mike

Maybe I wasnt clear in my post sorry
I will get in from the end that isn't wet.
Its the bottom of the garden that floods and the garden is on a
steep'ish slope, the greenhouse will stand on a level above the slope
rather than into it.
Hope This Helps
Iain

-----Signatures are for humans!!------

** Bite My Shiny Metal Ass to email **
Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bender" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:25:05 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
[...]

In which case why not create a solid floor using concrete T beams sitting on
the walls? the floor is then made slotting in concrete blocks and skimming
over.
Unless you can get a ready mix lorry to the site 3 m3 is a lot of mixing!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bender" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:25:05 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:52:10 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks for the explanation Iain :-))

Having had a garden with quite a terrific slope, I can picture it:-)

In our case and I don't know if it is of any use to you, there was the
footings of a very old cottage which was on the flat at one end and which
had a drop of 'about' 8 feet at the other end. The previous people and
myself just put more rubble there and had a nice 'steepish' bank at the far
end. Certainly strong enough for a greenhouse on the flat. (We could have
had a big greenhouse there)!! It's a wonder that the present owners have not
tried to re build the cottage seeing as building is going on everywhere,
EXCEPT that it's in an AOB!!

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 13-09-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:
| "Bender" wrote in message
|
| Its the bottom of the garden that floods and the garden is on a
| steep'ish slope, the greenhouse will stand on a level above the slope
| rather than into it.
|
| In which case why not create a solid floor using concrete T beams sitting on
| the walls? the floor is then made slotting in concrete blocks and skimming
| over.
| Unless you can get a ready mix lorry to the site 3 m3 is a lot of mixing!

It's insane, unless you are building a gun emplacement, and will be an
obstacle to selling the house afterwards. If anyone wants to break up
a concrete block of that size, it is a pain even for navvies with
pneumatic drills.

The normal way of following the original plan would be to fill the void
between the walls with compacted rubble (and builder's rubble is cheap
to free), topped by 100 mm of concrete.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-09-2007, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bender" wrote in message
Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

Be very interested to know what you have decided to do it following all of
the suggestions posted :-)

I know how I would tackle the problem :-)

Mike

Old 15-09-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Be very interested to know what you have decided to do it following all
of
the suggestions posted :-)

I know how I would tackle the problem :-)

Mike

Also interested to know what you decide.

If you decide to fill it with concrete best put some foam insulation around
the walls first - to stop the concrete expanding and cracking the brick
walls.