Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Concrete Base for a Greenhouse

Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

-----Signatures are for humans!!------

** Bite My Shiny Metal Ass to email **
Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bender" wrote in message
Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

3 Cubic Metres?

THREE?

That is one hell of a lot of concrete. Me thinks you have something wrong
there.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:
| "Bender" wrote in message
| Hi
| Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
| How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
| Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
| I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
| concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
| I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
| drive to barrow/pump.
|
| 3 Cubic Metres?
|
| THREE?
|
| That is one hell of a lot of concrete. Me thinks you have something wrong
| there.

Made up out of 25 Kg bags of ballast, too :-) Either it is a commercial
sized greenhouse, of the sort that would fit neatly on top of my garden,
or it is a launch pad for the weapons of mass destruction that that nice
Mr Blair assured us are everywhere.

To answer Bender's question, ballast has a bulk specific density of
something like 1.5.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

or it is a launch pad for the weapons of mass destruction that that nice
Mr Blair assured us are everywhere.

He's not still doing that, is he?

Mary

Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Bender" wrote in message
Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

3 Cubic Metres?

THREE?

That is one hell of a lot of concrete. Me thinks you have something wrong
there.

Google says the density of concrete is about 2400 kg/m3 so it looks he
needs 7200 Kg or 288 x 25 Kg bags! (Actually less than that if you allow for
the water. Either way I wouldn't want that in the back of my car :-)

Lets say his house is 4 x 3 M and 150mm thick = 1.8 cubic meters. .So 3
cubic does sound a lot.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:51:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

or it is a launch pad for the weapons of mass destruction that that nice
Mr Blair assured us are everywhere.

He's not still doing that, is he?

I thought he *was* a weapon of mass destruction.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:51:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

or it is a launch pad for the weapons of mass destruction that that nice
Mr Blair assured us are everywhere.

He's not still doing that, is he?

I thought he *was* a weapon of mass destruction.

Trouble is, where he is now he might still be :-(

Mary

Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:51:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in article ):

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

or it is a launch pad for the weapons of mass destruction that that nice
Mr Blair assured us are everywhere.

He's not still doing that, is he?

I thought he *was* a weapon of mass destruction.

No that was Thatcher :-(((

Nearly did what Hitler failed to do

Thatcher and Blair!! What a destructive partnership! What would it be like
if they were to marry, OR be in the same Political Party??????

Mike

Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"CWatters" writes:

| Google says the density of concrete is about 2400 kg/m3 so it looks he
| needs 7200 Kg or 288 x 25 Kg bags! (Actually less than that if you allow for
| the water. Either way I wouldn't want that in the back of my car :-)

Google says many things that aren't so. A specific density of 2.4 is
a very dense concrete, of the sort used to make paving slabs - completely
overkill for a greenhouse base.

| Lets say his house is 4 x 3 M and 150mm thick = 1.8 cubic meters. .So 3
| cubic does sound a lot.

150 mm thick is also overkill.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:52:10 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
.. .
Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

3 Cubic Metres?

THREE?

That is one hell of a lot of concrete. Me thinks you have something wrong
there.

Mike

The greenhouse is going to sit on a 2' wall to protect from potential
flooding. This years rains put the bottom of my garden in 6 inch of
water.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bender" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:52:10 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Bender" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

How do you get in without the water getting in?

Or are you going to allow the water to get in, but everything is going to be
on staging?

Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bender" wrote in message
The greenhouse is going to sit on a 2' wall to protect from potential
flooding. This years rains put the bottom of my garden in 6 inch of
water.

Perhaps a beam and block floor would be easier than filling the inside with
hardcore and concrete.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message

"Bender" wrote in message
The greenhouse is going to sit on a 2' wall to protect from potential
flooding. This years rains put the bottom of my garden in 6 inch of
water.

Perhaps a beam and block floor would be easier than filling the inside
with
hardcore and concrete.

Having read that response, I am confused ;-). Is the greenhouse going to sit
high up with the floor at existing level? Or, as I now suspect, it is going
to sit on a slab 2 ft high which WILL take it out of the flood area and
steps will be needed to get to it?

Problems with this:-
Lifting it this high watering cans are going to have to be taken up steps,
unless rain butts or a tap are arranged up there.
Is the greenhouse now going to be subject to windage?
What if at a later stage you wish to move the greenhouse?
What will prospective purchasers think of having a 2 ft x X feet x X feet
concrete slab in the garden?
The roof of your greenhouse is going to be 8 ft +? how many feet in the air.
Planning permission? Complaints from neighbours as an 'eye sore'?

Just a few thoughts.

Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:45:55 +0100, Bender
wrote:

Hi
Just a quick question if anyone has the time to answer
How many 25kg bags of ballast/cement to mix 1 cubic metre of concrete?
Assuming a mix of 4:1 ballast:concrete
I'm laying a base for a greenhouse and need about 3 cubic metres of
concrete but I need to know how many bags of ballast/cement to order.
I would have ordered in ready-mix but its just too far away from the
drive to barrow/pump.
Many thanks in advance
-Iain

-----Signatures are for humans!!------