Old 24-09-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default preserving (canning) fruit and veg

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
brian mitchell wrote:
Martin wrote:

You only need one chain selling preserving jars. Isn't Lakeland
enough?

For jars, yes, but there are a number of other useful accessories
which they don't seem to carry, such as replacement seals, filling
funnels, and so on.

They sell replacement seals, filling funnels, muslins, everything you
need. I know this because I was in one of the shops yesterday buying jars,
lids and various other bits myself.
--

Waitrose are now selling Kilner jars. I'll have a look later and see if they
sell the spares too.

Old 24-09-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian
If you want to Can as the Americans do - then may I suggest the
following site for the jars
http://www.cookability.biz/home-disc...jars/b_697.htm

There is a brilliant yahoo group for canning
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canning2

The jars come with lids, but you must use new lids each time, it is
unsafe to reuse them. I buy mine from Goldas kitchen in Canada, as
Ball in the USA do not ship to the UK (Goldas is somehow related to
them). Found it cheaper than buying the lids here.

Cookability did stock some Ball jars last year, but have been on the
Mason jars for a while. Which is a shame as they are only in regular
rather than wide mouth jars.
I have tried with new jam jars, which suffer breakages in a BWB

There is a brilliant book the Blue Ball Book of Home Canning

Any queries, feel free to ask

Regards

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 24-09-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Unfortunately Lakeland don't do canning jars. The bail arm types are
unsuitable for home processing, they are ok for doning in a water
bath, but even that is dubious as the bail is too strong. OK for
fruit in syrup.
Unfortunately the old 2 piece kilner style jars are no longer made in
the UK
Clifford

Old 24-09-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I can partly understand your point on power usage Mary, but...
I process jars of chicken - each 500ml jar will take almost 1lb of
chicken. I put 14 of these in my pressure canner and process for
90minutes once up to pressure. To me that still works out less time
that I would have spent cooking them indivdually. I feel I come out
on the right side of saving energy.
Clifford

Old 25-09-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
ups.com...
I can partly understand your point on power usage Mary, but...
I process jars of chicken - each 500ml jar will take almost 1lb of
chicken. I put 14 of these in my pressure canner and process for
90minutes once up to pressure. To me that still works out less time
that I would have spent cooking them indivdually. I feel I come out
on the right side of saving energy.
Clifford

If you like processed chicken ... :-)

Old 25-09-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:09 +0200, Martin wrote:

My canning experience started with finding a US website with a lot of
very useful info on fruit preservation (hence pressing reply after
Martin's post!)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5343.html

Though beware of the oops in the berries/apples bit!

In N.America, they even process jams as if they were bottling fruit.
Completely unnecessary but it must be the recipe-writers fear of legal
action if anything were to go wrong.
Graham

Old 25-09-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"jane" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:09 +0200, Martin wrote:

My canning experience started with finding a US website with a lot of
very useful info on fruit preservation (hence pressing reply after
Martin's post!)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5343.html

Though beware of the oops in the berries/apples bit!

In N.America, they even process jams as if they were bottling fruit.
Completely unnecessary but it must be the recipe-writers fear of legal
action if anything were to go wrong.

Yes, I subscribed to a food preserving group for a time, the participants
were mostly N American.

They seemed to be obsessed about botulism. Very, very few people die from
botulism whether they eat canned foods or not. I - and a couple of other
Brits - couldn't bear it. We went back to our old ways and even - shock
horror! - eating raw food on occasion ...

Mary

Old 25-09-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"jane" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:09 +0200, Martin wrote:

My canning experience started with finding a US website with a lot of
very useful info on fruit preservation (hence pressing reply after
Martin's post!)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5343.html

Though beware of the oops in the berries/apples bit!

In N.America, they even process jams as if they were bottling fruit.
Completely unnecessary but it must be the recipe-writers fear of legal
action if anything were to go wrong.

Yes, I subscribed to a food preserving group for a time, the participants
were mostly N American.

They seemed to be obsessed about botulism. Very, very few people die from
botulism whether they eat canned foods or not. I - and a couple of other
Brits - couldn't bear it. We went back to our old ways and even - shock
horror! - eating raw food on occasion ...

I was surprised last week when a nutritionist on a local CBC radio program
said that it was not necessary to process jams. After all, they are way
above 100C when you pour them into the sterilised jars.
I succumbed to the processing instructions a couple of years ago when I made
some herb infused apple jellies. The overcooking made them very tacky
(slightly toffee-like) and ruined the texture. I bought some jam from the
local farmers' market and had to return it because the maker had
over-processed it to that same tacky point.
Graham

Old 25-09-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote in message
[...]

Motto - ALWAYS make your own! And to the method you've always used
succesfully.

Mary

Old 25-09-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I was surprised last week when a nutritionist on a local CBC radio
program

said that it was not necessary to process jams. After all, they are way
above 100C when you pour them into the sterilised jars.
I succumbed to the processing instructions a couple of years ago when I
made some herb infused apple jellies. The overcooking made them very
tacky (slightly toffee-like) and ruined the texture. I bought some jam
from the local farmers' market and had to return it because the maker had
over-processed it to that same tacky point.
Graham

Motto - ALWAYS make your own! And to the method you've always used
succesfully.

I agree wholeheartedly!! The herb jellies involved throwing in a handful of
chopped tarragon or mint into the liquid as it reached setting point. I was
being extra cautious.
Graham

Old 25-09-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

[...]

Well don't.

There is one universal condition which always results in death. We're born
with it.

Botulism isn't it.

Mary

Graham

Old 26-09-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jane wrote:

jane (who is soon about to find out about sterilising baby bottles the
hard way!)

Why? Save time, money and trouble, and breastfeed!

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 26-09-2007, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jane wrote:

jane (who is soon about to find out about sterilising baby bottles the
hard way!)

Why? Save time, money and trouble, and breastfeed!

I wanted to say something like that! From what I've seen artificial feeding
is far harder work than the baby's birthright.

But sterilising nipples is painful so I never did it and our babies got
everything going.

Resounding good health and perfect weight :-)

It was a lot easier for Spouse too, he'd wake when they cried in the night
(I didn't wake), clamp the child's mouth onto me, change a nappy and back to
sleep. He said I should tell you that.

Mary

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 26-09-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jane wrote:

jane (who is soon about to find out about sterilising baby bottles the
hard way!)

Why? Save time, money and trouble, and breastfeed!

I wanted to say something like that! From what I've seen artificial feeding
is far harder work than the baby's birthright.

But sterilising nipples is painful so I never did it and our babies got
everything going.

Resounding good health and perfect weight :-)

It was a lot easier for Spouse too, he'd wake when they cried in the night
(I didn't wake), clamp the child's mouth onto me, change a nappy and back to
sleep. He said I should tell you that.

Mary

Perhaps the OP is, like me, a granny, who is to have babies staying in the
house? Our house was taken over by the next generation's clobber! Most
grannies will do anything for their grand children but might draw the line
at breast feeding. ;-)) As to the fruit & veg bit both our grand children
recommend HIPP organic!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-09-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/9/07 15:51, in article ,
"jane" wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:54:24 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

~
~
~Perhaps the OP is, like me, a granny, who is to have babies staying in the
~house? Our house was taken over by the next generation's clobber! Most
~grannies will do anything for their grand children but might draw the line
~at breast feeding. ;-)) As to the fruit & veg bit both our grand children
~recommend HIPP organic!

ROTFL

Sadly not, but an older mummy to be who is expecting to place baby
with nursery at 4-5 months so she can go back to work, and so needs to
be able to provide them with bottles of milk, wherever it comes from
in the first place! But yes, will try free source first.

I think my daughter in law used bottles called Dr Brown's or something like
that and found they helped a lot when the baby was rather windy or colicky.
And those wonderful steam sterilisers! Why didn't we have those instead of
horrible smelly Milton!

My own mum is going to be a very old granny and can't wait (she never
thought she'd be one, but we surprised her.)

She's going to be over the moon - what a lovely piece of news that must have
been. My step-daughter didn't have her first child until she was 41 and she
gave us all - especially her father - a wonderful surprise. The grand
daughter lives very close to us and we see her often but both are the joy of
our lives.

Blinking allotment went west this year though, first to extreme
morning sickness and hospitalisation and then to me simply being
unable to bend! Having said that, a lot of allotment friends have been
using me to get rid of the usual courgette/bean surplus once I could
eat again, and picking my fruit bushes over for me while they were at
it. *bless*. (I also got my spuds and shallots in before getting too
bad, so it wasn't a dead loss.) If I had to pick a year to not do the
lottie, this was a good one to choose.

Ah well, now you know that babies take their own time and consider nobody's
convenience but their own - and that's before they're born! ;-)

Good job I have a lot of spare preserves from last year, and plenty of
frozen stuff. Baby will wean to homegrown organic stuff!

Lucky baby - it's off to a good start. Let us have the great news as soon
as you can!