Old 28-09-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default preserving (canning) fruit and veg

jane wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:47:31 +0100, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:

~jane wrote:
~
~ jane (who is soon about to find out about sterilising baby bottles
the ~ hard way!)
~
~Why? Save time, money and trouble, and breastfeed!

You still need sterile bottles when you have to provide milk
(whatever the source) to the nursery when you go back to work!!!!!!

Debatable. If you've got a dishwasher, that's sufficient by the time a
baby's 6mo. Once a baby's capable of picking up random stuff and sticking it
in their gob, sterilising becomes less of an issue. I only ever sterilised
(cold water method) when I was expressing for the local milk bank. The milk
I sent to nursery for YB went into dishwashed bottles. Formula milk's a
different kettle of fish, of course, and grows bacteria far quicker, which
is why it has to be discarded after 24 hours. Breastmilk stays sterile and
drinkable from the fridge for around 7 days!

Old 28-09-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jane wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:54:24 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

~
~
~Perhaps the OP is, like me, a granny, who is to have babies staying
in the ~house? Our house was taken over by the next generation's
clobber! Most ~grannies will do anything for their grand children
but might draw the line ~at breast feeding. ;-)) As to the fruit &
veg bit both our grand children ~recommend HIPP organic!

ROTFL

Sadly not, but an older mummy to be who is expecting to place baby
with nursery at 4-5 months so she can go back to work, and so needs to
be able to provide them with bottles of milk, wherever it comes from
in the first place! But yes, will try free source first.

If you want any tips etc, have a look at misc.kids.breastfeeding - a good
supportive newsgroup, with lots of expertise if you do want to keep the free
source going strong for taking to nursery!

Old 28-09-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

~jane wrote:
~
[...]

That was my experience - not the 'formula' bit, there was never any in the
house.

Mary

Old 28-09-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Comes out no different that a chicken casserole - the meat is in 1
inch cubes, not that thigh meat is that square, but thats the target
size. Using turkey brest is great. The quality angle is fine. An
suprised more people over here don't do it.
Clifford

Old 28-09-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
oups.com...
Comes out no different that a chicken casserole - the meat is in 1
inch cubes, not that thigh meat is that square, but thats the target
size. Using turkey brest is great. The quality angle is fine. An
suprised more people over here don't do it.
Clifford

I can't understand why you need the extra processes - unless you breed
chickens and need to store it..

We have chickens but rarely kill one and then only if it's a rooster. The
last one is still in the freezer, we want to be able to choose how we cook
it.

I have had canned chicken and didn't like it - I suppose it's a matter of
experience.

Mary

Old 28-09-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I have had canned chicken and didn't like it - I suppose it's a matter of
experience.

Mary

I met the wife of a keen fisherman once who told me she canned (bottled) his
catch of northern pike. She claimed it tasted just like canned salmon,
which is strange since the flavours of the two fish are so different..
Graham

Old 28-09-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I have had canned chicken and didn't like it - I suppose it's a matter of
experience.

Mary

I met the wife of a keen fisherman once who told me she canned (bottled)
his catch of northern pike. She claimed it tasted just like canned
salmon, which is strange since the flavours of the two fish are so
different..
Graham

Oh, what a waste of pike!

We had a pike angler friend who gave us most of his catches.

He went to the great river in the sky and we haven't had it since - I'd pay
a lot for pike!

Mary

Old 29-09-2007, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Oh, what a waste of pike!

We had a pike angler friend who gave us most of his catches.

He went to the great river in the sky and we haven't had it since - I'd
pay a lot for pike!

When son #1 was about 8, I was teaching him how to fish in the local
reservoir when he caught a 2 pounder. Wife and I cooked it for dinner but
both sons refused it. It was a delicious, delicately flavoured treat.
Canadian chefs often prepare quenelles of pike when taking part in those
international cooking competitions.
Graham

Old 29-09-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Oh, what a waste of pike!

We had a pike angler friend who gave us most of his catches.

He went to the great river in the sky and we haven't had it since - I'd
pay a lot for pike!

When son #1 was about 8, I was teaching him how to fish in the local
reservoir when he caught a 2 pounder. Wife and I cooked it for dinner but
both sons refused it. It was a delicious, delicately flavoured treat.
Canadian chefs often prepare quenelles of pike when taking part in those
international cooking competitions.
Graham

I'm glad we agree on something :-)

Mary