Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ex Japonica

I have killed a Japonica. It seems to root down to Australia, and I wasn't
going to bother to get rid of the corpse, but I need to as there is a garage
which is now getting damp because the soil is above the damp course. I have
dug down about a shovel's depth all around this beast, apart from on the
garage wall side because it is growing right up against it.

Normally, I would tie the stump to the back of the van and tow it out, but
there is absolutely no way I can get a line to it. I can get on top of it,
and to either side (with very limited access). Is there such a thing that I
could maybe hire that would allow me to get some purchase to uproot this
thing? I don't want to use a stump grinder, I want to pull the whole thing
up if I can.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

TIA