Old 15-10-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default filtering nasty crap

Hi Someone shared with me a simple way to filter out all the nasty email
full of curse words and worse - under MESSAGE - click BLOCK SENDER - then
click on OK or YES depending on the program of OE. It seems to work just
fine for me. Hope this helps - who wants to be confronted all the time with
someone elses miserable attitude towards other people and life.
NOT ME!! Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Old 16-10-2007, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article xhRQi.10687$GO5.557@edtnps90, clarissa says...
Hi Someone shared with me a simple way to filter out all the nasty email
full of curse words and worse - under MESSAGE - click BLOCK SENDER - then
click on OK or YES depending on the program of OE. It seems to work just
fine for me. Hope this helps - who wants to be confronted all the time with
someone elses miserable attitude towards other people and life.
NOT ME!! Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Unfortunately, just blocking sender as you describe is a clumsy tool.
The trolls tend to change their underlying email address frequently
which means they keep getting out of your blocked sender list. Worse
still they sometimes copy the email address of "legitimate" posters for
mischief which means you actually block the legitimate poster! Note that
when you block a sender in Outlook Express you don't actually block them
by the "From" name of the poster, but rather the underlying email
address.

If you use a better newsreader such as MicroPlanet Gravity you can
create a rule to filter out every posting that contains offensive
language. I don't need to have anyone in a clumsy blocked senders list.
You can also set it to delete cross posted messages or messages posted
to more than a specific number of groups. Great for filtering out the
crap without losing any legitimate postings.
--
David in Normandy.