Old 20-05-2004, 12:11 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

Default Pump/filtering....ahh CRAP!!!!

According to the Laguna chart I used. The measurements are from the TOP of
the water in the pond to the top of the waterfall.
then I can go with the 2000 & have plenty of filtration. I keep thinking
about the 2' from the bottom of the pond.

I got it from he
Then I clicked on the "flow rate chart" link.
I ONLY have a water fall, no fountain.
http://www.genrichs.com/Water%20Garden.htm

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
The~Doofie~Man© wrote:
Here's my questions.
I have a ****y little Becket pump. Its rated 300 gph at 1" lift. I
have about a 3' lift with the falls. This puts the GPH at about 70-85
gph. I gotta have a better filter rate than this correct. I'm a
plumber & can get a Grundfos recirculating pump off a fellow ass
crack shower for free. I was thinking this pump (out of water) should
do the trick, even if I use it in conjunction with the underwater
pump. Its oilless so its safe to use. AS far as the lift rate I'm
working on finding that out. It has to be greater than the Becket
pump. I bought a 500gph filter as well. I haven't installed it yet
cause I'm still waiting to get the pump off my co-worker. My main
question is, do I really need to have a filter? I'm assuming plants
and & good pump(s) doesn't always do the trick. Is there such a thing
as over filtering?
Also the deepest part of the pond to the top of the water level is
2'. I live in Southern Ontario, will the fish & plants make it
through the winter in the pond?

One thing I've learned is that pond kits are not worth the $$.

Thanks for all the advice in advance people!!!!

- That Beckett definitely is very small, though we would need to know how
many gallons your pond is. If I remember correctly, you want to be able to
re-circulate 1/2 your pond in a 1 hour period, something like that, plus

the
rise(s) for fountains, waterfalls, etc. My pond is approx:: 500 gallons, I
run a fountain off the pump(figure a 1 foot rise), and my waterfall is
another 3 feet of rise or so. Like Janet, I am running a Laguna 7000,

which
is rated for 2142 gph, which I hopefully had calcultaed way back when that
it is definitely sufficient.

- Janet mentioned it, pool pumps, and other pumps not specifically meant

run 24/7, can end up costing you an arm and a leg in hydro, especially

with
the Liberals in power! g Also, are these pumps rated to run 24/7 for 8
months of the year?

- Yes, you need some form of filtering unless you have a huge pond that

can
filter itself naturally. Plants won't do it alone, and the pump won't do

any
filtering(in fact, you want some form of pre-filter to make sure the pump
doesn't clog with debris and burn the pump out.), so you need filtration,
the more the better.

- 2' will do you fine in Southern Ontario for standard fish(goldfish,

etc),
and will also do well for most plants. 2' is pushing it for Koi, though my
Koi did survive this past winter, and my pond is only 22" at the deep end.
I'd avoid Koi with only 2' of depth, I like the 3' to 4' rule for Koi(my

Koi
just committed suicide a few weeks back by jumping out of the pond, so I
guess I have no Koi worries...). You don't want to run your pump in the
winter, you just need something that will keep an air hole open in the

pond.
I have a 1200 watt heater I use in the winter(tried 100 watt model, didn't
do the trick this past year), did a great job, and as it has a

thermostat(it
has some form of stat), it turns off when it doesn't need to do any work,
thus I never saw this heater affect my hydro bill.

Good Luck from Brampton!

Old 20-05-2004, 11:11 PM
The~Doofie~Man©

I got a Wetlands 790 from Canadian Tire. Its does more than enough as far as
volume. For the price & the 2 year guarantee, it was well worth it.
Pond is much clearer now.

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"
Putting the fun back in FUNeral!!
http://www.geocities.com/doof70/index.html

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
If the price differential between the 2000 and 3000 isn't too much, go

with
a 3000, just in case you decide to add a fountain attachment later, or

just
to have assurance that the pump can do the flow you want.

The~Doofie~Man© wrote:
According to the Laguna chart I used. The measurements are from the
TOP of the water in the pond to the top of the waterfall.
then I can go with the 2000 & have plenty of filtration. I keep
thinking about the 2' from the bottom of the pond.

I got it from he
Then I clicked on the "flow rate chart" link.
I ONLY have a water fall, no fountain.
http://www.genrichs.com/Water%20Garden.htm

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
The~Doofie~Man© wrote:
[...]

meant to run 24/7, can end up costing you an arm and a leg in hydro,