Old 19-10-2007, 03:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig bount!

On Oct 18, 2:00 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
, I, Marvo, say :

On 18/10/07 11:57, in article
om, "judith.lea"
wrote:

snip

Another way is to serve two per person as a starter. Slit in the
middle like a jacket potato, squeeze to open slit and insert a slice
of Mottzarella chesse, drizze with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Decorate the plate with water cress, it was gorgeous when we had over
40 to lunch and very easy to prepare.

Judith

That's definitely one for the recipe file! The easier the better
AFAIC!

If I get 40 people they can have the jacket potato. Have you seen the price
of figs?

They are not expensive here in France at the moment Marvo.

Judith

Old 19-10-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig bounty!

On 19/10/07 00:13, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 18/10/07 23:26, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:57:02 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 17/10/07 23:22, in article
,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:12:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!

Lucky you!
I have over a dozen figs still on my plant, all only about walnut
size, hard and green. Is there anything I can do with them? Do they
stand a chance of ripening now? Will they ripen indoors if picked?
Otherwise, I shall just have to sacrifice them and hope for more
sunshine next summer.

Pam in Bristol

I wouldn't be hopeful, Pam. I think they sound too tiny to ripen. I think
we must hope for more sun next year. And Ray tells me that I was wrong
about which fig tree we have these fruits from. The ones he picked *are*
Brown Turkey and the one in our courtyard is Brunswick. Brown Turkey is 'up
the field' and has a lot of sunshine, while Brunswick gets the warmth of the
courtyard wall and paving but is in shade some of the day.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what variety mine is, but it has
produced well in its second year, with a fruit at every leaf joint
now, though sadly it looks as if they will be wasted now. I've had
about 6. (and a half, after slugs or snails had had the other half!)

Pam in Bristol

Oh, bad luck but.....that may be 6 more than others have managed this year.
;-(

And I must add that something quite strange must be going on here re figs
this year. Ray brought in another dozen this evening. The soil here is
certainly very fertile but can be very wet, IOW, everything figs are
supposed not to want!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-10-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote
Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
I went off figs when I read about the way they are pollinated.

I am intrigued now. Figs are best raw IMHO, unless they are green in which
case they are best tinned.

http://home.planters.net/~thegivans/figsex.html
Jenny "~)