Old 22-10-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 8ft Plastic Bamboo Canes

Some years ago and before I moved house, I used 8ft plastic canes
(simulated bamboo) to support runner beans. Are you able to supply, or
give me a source of supply of this item. Any idea of prices plus
delivery? Thank you for your time.
Regards.
John.
Old 23-10-2007, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wouldn't 8 foot bamboo canes bend a bit under the weight of runner
beans?
Just wondering!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-10-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John" wrote in message
Some years ago and before I moved house, I used 8ft plastic canes
(simulated bamboo) to support runner beans. Are you able to supply, or
give me a source of supply of this item. Any idea of prices plus
delivery? Thank you for your time.
Regards.
John.

The larger B&Q sheds sell green plastic canes in various lengths from 4 foot
to 8 foot.

Old 25-10-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:16:32 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Wouldn't 8 foot bamboo canes bend a bit under the weight of runner
beans?
Just wondering!

In fact, the canes I'm talking o, are made of metal
with a green plastic skin made to look like
bamboo canes. They are used to make a
frame across which is strung wire or string.
I used them for some years and they never collapsed.

John.

Old 25-10-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:53:05 +0100, "Kase"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
Some years ago and before I moved house, I used 8ft plastic canes
(simulated bamboo) to support runner beans. Are you able to supply, or
give me a source of supply of this item. Any idea of prices plus
delivery? Thank you for your time.
Regards.
John.

The larger B&Q sheds sell green plastic canes in various lengths from 4 foot
to 8 foot

Thank you. I've looked in B & Q a couple of times
but received negative answers.

John.
Old 25-10-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

"John" wrote in message
Some years ago and before I moved house, I used 8ft plastic canes
(simulated bamboo) to support runner beans. Are you able to supply, or
give me a source of supply of this item. Any idea of prices plus
delivery? Thank you for your time.
Regards.
John.

The larger B&Q sheds sell green plastic canes in various lengths from 4
foot
to 8 foot

Thank you. I've looked in B & Q a couple of times
but received negative answers.

John.

If they're what I'm thinking of the tops are blunt and rounded and the
whole
thing is a bit knobbly looking? I just can't think when I last saw such
canes because I've never used them myself.

That is exactly the ones. They had them all this summer in my local B&Q
which is Handforth, and I'm sure I've seen them in the Stockport B&Q over
summer. I was going to buy a load to rig up a lightweight cage to tidy up my
raspberries (Autumn Bliss, so they virtually support themselves, just fall
over onto the paths occassionally) but they didn't get very tall this year.
Still fruiting happily though, and I've got many kilos of jam making
material in the freezer

Old 26-10-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The larger B&Q sheds sell green plastic canes in various lengths from 4 foot
to 8 foot

Thank you. I've looked in B & Q a couple of times
but received negative answers.

John.

If they're what I'm thinking of the tops are blunt and rounded and the whole
thing is a bit knobbly looking? I just can't think when I last saw such
canes because I've never used them myself. Do they *have* to be the plastic
ones? Can you not use real bamboo or pea sticks from a hedge? Is there a
particular reason for your preference?

=======================================
Those of which I'm talking, look 'exactly' like bamboo.
I know the plastic sticks you mention, but they aren't
as strong as those for which I'm looking.

My use is in crossing two of these poles - the base of which
is sunk 9: into the soil - a few inches from the top, then wiring
them together. I make half a dozen of these arches and lay
others horizontally across the top in the 'V's' made by the crossed
uprights. I wire several along the uprights, also horizontally, to
brace the structure.

The "bamboos" I used were strong, and lasted over a number
of years.

Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

John.
Old 26-10-2007, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:47:16 +0100, "Kase"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote:

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for your interest.

The "Bamboos" I talk of, look almost exactly like the real
thing, not rough at all. Also they are very strong.

John.