Old 24-10-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tuberous tender perennials

Everyone knows that you can overwinter Dahlias as a tuber. Today I have just
dug up Salvia patens, which I understand can be treated the same way. And so
can Verbena rigida I believe. Any suggestions of others. And is it critical
exactly when you do it. And what about bare root perennials - you see a lot
for sale. Is that the same thing?

Old 26-10-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Peter Sutton
writes
Everyone knows that you can overwinter Dahlias as a tuber. Today I have just
dug up Salvia patens, which I understand can be treated the same way. And so
can Verbena rigida I believe. Any suggestions of others. And is it critical
exactly when you do it. And what about bare root perennials - you see a lot
for sale. Is that the same thing?

I overwinter salvias and verbena , but in the ground, i.e. I leave them
alone, though sometimes I mulch a particularly nice salvia. All the
dahlias apart from the giant Japanese one that I grew in 2006, came
through last winter.

I'll leave 'after Eight' in the ground and possibly put Turkish Sunshine
(as it's in a pot) in the greenhouse. I have NEVER been able to winter
dahlias out of the ground in spite of following every step advised. They
just seem to rot.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 26-10-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/07 12:35, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Peter Sutton
writes
Everyone knows that you can overwinter Dahlias as a tuber. Today I have just
dug up Salvia patens, which I understand can be treated the same way. And so
can Verbena rigida I believe. Any suggestions of others. And is it critical
exactly when you do it. And what about bare root perennials - you see a lot
for sale. Is that the same thing?

I overwinter salvias and verbena , but in the ground, i.e. I leave them
alone, though sometimes I mulch a particularly nice salvia. All the
dahlias apart from the giant Japanese one that I grew in 2006, came
through last winter.

We leave all the Salvias in but as you say, mulch any we think a bit dodgy.
We have a fairly good clump of S. involucrata in one house border and always
mulch that 'just in case'. It's done about 4 years now, I think.

I'll leave 'after Eight' in the ground and possibly put Turkish Sunshine
(as it's in a pot) in the greenhouse. I have NEVER been able to winter
dahlias out of the ground in spite of following every step advised. They
just seem to rot.

Never tried, I'm afraid. We leave ours in but gardening here or in the CIs
is just so different. I'm not quite sure what the OP means by bare root
perennials, though. Bare root hedging plants, perhaps, such a beech or
hawthorn etc?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-10-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

Never tried, I'm afraid. We leave ours in but gardening here or in the
CIs is just so different. I'm not quite sure what the OP means by
bare root perennials, though. Bare root hedging plants, perhaps, such
a beech or hawthorn etc?

Come spring you can buy plants of some perennials as rootstocks -
hollyhocks, Gypsophila, paeonies, Liatris come to mind as examples of
the sort of plant sold that way.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley