Old 29-10-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palest yellow acacia

We have planted an Acacia expecting it to be the usual A. dealbata but it
produced flowers in mid-summer. They are exactly like the normal mimosa
flowers but they're the palest possible yellow and the leaves are like A.
dealbata. Anyone any ideas about the proper name of an Acacia that flowers
in mid-summer and is very, very pale yellow - so much so that from a short
distance they're almost white. It also beat the world record for growth -
it was almost a question of 'plant and stand well back'!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2007, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

A similar question cropped up last year on UK Oasis when a Paignton
member reported having a pale lemon-flowered Acacia that did its stuff
much later than dealbata. Having seen the Paignton tree, I'm of the
opinion that it is probably a late flowering form of A. dealbata 'sub-
alpina'. Last year the tree flowered earlier (April/May), but I'm not
sure what it did this year. I must ask the question.

Old 30-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
We have planted an Acacia expecting it to be the usual A. dealbata but it produced flowers in mid-summer. They are exactly like the normal mimosa flowers but they're the palest possible yellow and the leaves are like A. dealbata. Anyone any ideas about the proper name of an Acacia that flowers in mid-summer and is very, very pale yellow - so much so that from a short distance they're almost white. It also beat the world record for growth - it was almost a question of 'plant and stand well back'!
A. melanoxylon perhaps. Fast growing with pale flowers. Supposed to flower late winter to late spring, but maybe it was set back by the late spring cold spell this year. If it is melanoxylon, then you should be able to spot a difference in the foliage: dealbata has only juvenile acacia foliage (what we think of as typical mimosa foliage), whereas melanoxylon has both juvenile and adult acacia foliage, ie, larger lance shaped leaves as well. A. melanoxylon is a common stowaway on other australian plants, eg tree ferns. Pic: http://www.trevenacross.co.uk/shop/pics.asp?plantid=268
Old 30-10-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/07 09:04, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Sacha;757038 Wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/2do3vw

We had one of those stowaways but unfortunately we had to pull it out of the
tree fern's trunk and it wouldn't root. The one I'm trying to ID has the
same form as A. dealbata but the leaves are a real green, not at all grey
and they're bigger. It also has seed pods. It appears to be forming flower
buds now on longish stems, too. I'm afraid this is not a brilliant pic
because it's a bit windy here today!
http://i23.tinypic.com/30rw9b8.jpg

Old 30-10-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Definitely not Acacia melanoxylon. That species has cladodes
(flattened leaf stems that function as leaves) at maturity and the
bipinnate leaves are only present on very young plants. It might just
be Acacia decurrens (Green Wattle), but the flowering period and pale
flowers suggest otherwise. Trouble is, normal dealbata 'Subalpina'
has the characteristic silvery leaves of the species and your are
green, as are those of the Paignton tree. I'll have a chat with a few
mates in Oz.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Just an update. A long lost pal from Spain has suddenly re-surfaced
and when the question was asked he immediately hit on the right name.
It is the 'Black Wattle' - Acacia mearnsii. I wish I could hit my
forehead and say "Duh! I knew that" because it's not a rare thing by
any stretch of the imagination.

Acacia or Locust told2b Gardening 5 13-10-2005 12:54 AM
"Acacia vera" seeds/cuttings Gregory United Kingdom 0 09-11-2004 11:30 PM
help w/ acacia sprouts J.B. Bobbitt Gardening 1 29-08-2004 04:46 AM
care/pruning of Acacia Pravissima (Oven's Wattle) dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 0 10-04-2004 11:04 PM
Acacia Pravissima care dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 0 09-04-2004 05:33 PM