Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Leycesteria Golden Lanterns

Has anyone here grown Leycesteria Golden Lanterns?
The ordinary one grows like a weed here, see pic
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...traformosa.jpg
Is it worth me looking around to find it?

David hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Has anyone here grown Leycesteria Golden Lanterns?
The ordinary one grows like a weed here, see pic
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...traformosa.jpg
Is it worth me looking around to find it?

David hill
Abacus Nurseries

I have no idea which variety it is, but I have grown on now sizeable plants
from seed collected at an old mental hospital in the NE of Scotland :-)
It is, as you say, a strong robust, completely hardy plant (in the NE
Scotland) with fairly attractive flowers and berries.
It is now self seeding widely!
Chris S

Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Has anyone here grown Leycesteria Golden Lanterns?
The ordinary one grows like a weed here, see pic
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...traformosa.jpg
Is it worth me looking around to find it?

David hill
Abacus Nurseries

L. golden lanterns is a slightly more restrained plant, but not much. The
flowers and fruits are a bit more visible against the yellow/light green
leaves.
Every garden centre round here was selling it last year but now it seems to
have gone out of stock.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 6 Nov, 09:14, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

ps.com...

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...?action=view¤t...
Is it worth me looking around to find it?

David hill
Abacus Nurseries

L. golden lanterns is a slightly more restrained plant, but not much. The
flowers and fruits are a bit more visible against the yellow/light green
leaves.
Every garden centre round here was selling it last year but now it seems to
have gone out of stock.

I'm going to try seed of Leycesteria 'Gold Leaf' from Plant World,
which looks interesting:
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/sto...shrubs&page=37

Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ornata" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 6 Nov, 09:14, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ps.com...

Has anyone here grown Leycesteria Golden Lanterns?
The ordinary one grows like a weed here, see pic
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...?action=view¤t...
Is it worth me looking around to find it?

David hill
Abacus Nurseries

L. golden lanterns is a slightly more restrained plant, but not much. The
flowers and fruits are a bit more visible against the yellow/light green
leaves.
Every garden centre round here was selling it last year but now it seems
have gone out of stock.

I'm going to try seed of Leycesteria 'Gold Leaf' from Plant World,
which looks interesting:
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/sto...shrubs&page=37

Noticed that they say it may be slow to germinate. That explains why my 3
year old original plant has only just made self sown plants this year.