Old 15-11-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Are Runner Bean Beans Edible?

Jeff Layman writes

The first time I "cooked" kidney beans 30 years ago I just slow-cooked them,
as I didn't know any better. A night of vomiting resulted - nearly blamed
the butcher for bad mince! Since then I have always "rolling boiled" them
for at least 20 minutes without problem.

Brilliant! It's good to hear from someone who's experienced things at
first hand

It is quite interesting that the pea family provides us with some of the
most delicious and nutritious seeds, and some of the most dangerous
(Ricinus, Abrus).

Carrot and potato families are similarly mixed :-) (eg hemlock and
deadly nightshade resp.)

--
Kay
Old 15-11-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

K wrote:
Jeff Layman writes

The first time I "cooked" kidney beans 30 years ago I just slow-cooked them,
as I didn't know any better. A night of vomiting resulted - nearly blamed
the butcher for bad mince! Since then I have always "rolling boiled" them
for at least 20 minutes without problem.

Brilliant! It's good to hear from someone who's experienced things at
first hand

It is quite interesting that the pea family provides us with some of the
most delicious and nutritious seeds, and some of the most dangerous
(Ricinus, Abrus).

Carrot and potato families are similarly mixed :-) (eg hemlock and
deadly nightshade resp.)

--
Kay

Runner beans and Kidney beans are the same thing just that Kidney bean
refers to just the seed whilst runner bean /green beans refer to the
immature pods.
When I was young we used to grow Broad beans, not for the beans but to
pick the pods when they were finger size and we would slice them like
runner beans, a bit woolly but they were the first of the year and
tasted good.
David Hill
Old 15-11-2007, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill writes:

| Runner beans and Kidney beans are the same thing just that Kidney bean
| refers to just the seed whilst runner bean /green beans refer to the
| immature pods.

Er, no. Runner beans are Phaseolus coccineus, and dwarf / French /
kidney / etc. beans are Phaseolus vulgaris. Different species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-11-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 6:26 am, Des Higgins wrote:
On Nov 15, 12:18 pm, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:

Davy wrote:

[snip]

Because in Britain kidney beans are only available as dried beans and
therefore have to be boiled to make them edible, there are few
recorded cases of red kidney bean poisoning - mostly due to people
adding the beans to slow casserole cookers which don't boil the
beans. I could find no reported cases of poisoning from runner beans.

Only available as dried beans? Whoever did the research you found seems to
have forgotten tins!

Well spotted. Most people probably do indeed get them from tins. I
think the tinned ones are already cooked though but please do not sue
me if they are not and you accidentally poison all around you.

Des

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

I bought a dozen or so tins (of various beans) at a discount outlet a
while back.
Nuked in a microwave and added to something I don't remember (probably
a knock-together soup), 1/2 a can of "kidney" or maybe it was the
"small red" - beans, were so hard as to be inedible, although they had
been packed in a syrup. (Which I normally drink after emptying the
can, or use later as a base).
I presumed they were uncooked and tossed the whole batch (and juice)
after nuking another 10 minutes failed to soften them... Does any of
this make sense to anyone?
I haven't opened anymore of those... Not comfortable w/ the
experience, although my stove is working now so I'm not dependent on
the microwave.

Don
Old 16-11-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Nov, 21:58, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Dave Hill writes:

| Runner beans and Kidney beans are the same thing just that Kidney bean
| refers to just the seed whilst runner bean /green beans refer to the
| immature pods.

Er, no. Runner beans are Phaseolus coccineus, and dwarf / French /
kidney / etc. beans are Phaseolus vulgaris. Different species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I bow to your superior knowledge,
BUT in Wales runner beans are refered to as Kidney beans, and my
mother was Welsh so thats what I knew them as, but being brought up in
Sussex I also knew runner beans as stick beans, string beans and
runners

interesting article on beans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_bean

David Hill

Old 16-11-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I must have not boiled them long enough once many years ago, because I
started throwing up an hour or two after eating them and did so every half
an hour for 12 hours!

Old 16-11-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:02:13 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

I bow to your superior knowledge,
BUT in Wales runner beans are refered to as Kidney beans, and my
mother was Welsh so thats what I knew them as, but being brought up in
Sussex I also knew runner beans as stick beans, string beans and
runners

And Bob Flowerdew always calls them "running beans", which I have
never heard anywhere else. Is it a Norfolk speciality?

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-11-2007, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Davy
writes
Now done a bit of online research.......

Soaking the
beans in water for about 5 hours, discarding the water, boiling for at least
10 mins reduces the toxin to safe levels.

I was also told to soak, rinse then bring to boil and discard that
water plus any scum, then boil again for 10 - 15 minutes.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-11-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:
| In article , Davy
| writes
| Now done a bit of online research.......
|
| Soaking the
| beans in water for about 5 hours, discarding the water, boiling for at least
| 10 mins reduces the toxin to safe levels.
|
| I was also told to soak, rinse then bring to boil and discard that
| water plus any scum, then boil again for 10 - 15 minutes.

The soaking and water discarding reduces the flatulent effect; the
only thing necessary for safety is the boiling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-11-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

The soaking and water discarding reduces the flatulent effect;

Maybe that's why Bob Flowerdew calls them "running beans" Bit like Army
rations which you eat within 2 minutes of a 'facility'