Old 18-11-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Beware who you listen to....

On 18 Nov, 13:13, Sacha wrote:
On 18/11/07 12:40, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

In article , Mary Fisher
says...

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. ..

I'd always assumed that if they could be squashed and burst releasing
liquid that they were eggs, but it sounds like that isn't necessarily
the case. I've been removing and discarding some slow release fertiliser
as well as slug/snail eggs then.

But if you squashed fertiliser granules you'd simply have released the
contents into the compost so no problem.

Mary

Good thinking! If in doubt squish 'em anyway, nothing lost!

Well, yes and no. The whole idea is that they are *slow* release, so they
nourish the plant right through the season. ;-) We put them into hanging
baskets, too. Of course, the plant will still get the benefit of the
fertiliser but it will be at once. Personally, I don't find our fertiliser
pellets easily squishable but perhaps different makes vary.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

If you have a bird table then put the "Eggs" on the table, if they get
eaten then they were eggs, if left then they are fertilizer
David Hill
Old 18-11-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

When Matthew heard this story he told her that firstly vine weevils and
their grubs are not active now so she wouldn't have seen them and secondly
that we spend over £1k per year on nematodes which we use against vine
weevil. If only she'd asked.......

Sacha

We have been using Provado for some years in all our containers which
has been reasonably successful, but as part of our effort to rely a bit
less on chemicals I was thinking of trying Nemasys. Do you apply the
nematodes once or twice a year and what is/are the optimum month(s) to
apply it from your experience?
--
Robert
Old 19-11-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/07 17:22, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

When Matthew heard this story he told her that firstly vine weevils and
their grubs are not active now so she wouldn't have seen them and secondly
that we spend over £1k per year on nematodes which we use against vine
weevil. If only she'd asked.......

Sacha

We have been using Provado for some years in all our containers which
has been reasonably successful, but as part of our effort to rely a bit
less on chemicals I was thinking of trying Nemasys. Do you apply the
nematodes once or twice a year and what is/are the optimum month(s) to
apply it from your experience?

You apply it in April and September. The soil temp needs to be about 14C
minimum. At around 26C, it becomes inactive. We use it only in September
as - touch wood - we've been using it for a long time and so have no major
problem. In 8 years I've seen one vine weevil!
However, Ray suggests that if you do have vine weevil now, you use the
control in April (when the soil temp. is right) and again in September until
you've got it under control, then you could well get away with one autumn
treatment.

Old 19-11-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
wrote:

[...]

----------------------------
(1) I have "off the air" so to speak for about 5 to 8 years;
Nursing a human person. We lost the fight.
Before that I lost my greenhouse crops due to vine weevils.
I have , more or less, at last got my house and garden and all there-in
stabilised and back to the standard they previously were.

(2).......Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember, - way back in
time, - a Law coming into use which said that anyone caught killing black
SlugS would be hauled before the Courts and fined heavily The reason given
was that it upsets the balance of the various species and deprives nature of
keeping a proper balance among the "Grub" species , thus putting it out of
kilter thus causing the upsetting of the true natural balance in the earth's
soil.
Please note, :-
(A) - This is not a foolish joke.
(B) - I drink exclusively Earl Grey Tea and/or tapwater exclusively'
(C) - I am more or less sound in mind and fit in body and my financial
state is even better.
(D) - Hence, - I have no axe to grind.
Douglas Adam Denny.
--------------------------

Old 20-11-2007, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , doug
writes

[...]

It's a load of nonsense - or a foolish joke! And axes are a bit OTT when
it comes to dealing with slugs, IMO :-)

--
MalcolM

Get lost Dumbell.
You don't have the intelligence to understand the saying, - "Axe to grind".
Goodbye.
Douglas Adam Denny.