Old 20-11-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee Boles

On Nov 18, 5:15 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's
collection of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area
primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more
information.

Please :-)

Well I don't have any in my present house but have lived in a house with
them in the dim distant past and until now had no idea what they were
although I had asked a few people who were similarly as ignorant as I.

Do you know if they were recorded?

I do now as I looked on the web site and they are indeed recorded.

Good :-)

Mary, do you know the origin of the word bole? Is it a bee hole,
distorted over centuries, or something?
Thank you for bringing to my attention something I was not even aware
of.

Cat(h)
Old 20-11-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's
collection of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area
primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

Mary, do you know the origin of the word bole? Is it a bee hole,
distorted over centuries, or something?
Thank you for bringing to my attention something I was not even aware
of.

Cat(h)

Cath, I didn't know, your idea sounds plausible.

I looked in The Archaeology of Beekeeping, by Dr Crane (founder of IBRA, who
died last month) and found this little para. If Eva Crane used that
definition I reckon it's unlikely that it will be wrong - but nobody's
perfect. I can ask her colleague if she knows.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ejier7&s=1

It is rather an arcane subject :-)

Mary

Old 22-11-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

[...]

But interesting. Thanks for that, Mary.

Cat(h) (still learning the English language)
Old 22-11-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

It is rather an arcane subject :-)

But interesting. Thanks for that, Mary.

Cat(h) (still learning the English language)

So am I, who was born in England to English parents almost 69 years ago - I
don't believe that anyone will ever know everything about English :-)

Mary

Old 22-11-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 22, 3:51 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

It is rather an arcane subject :-)

But interesting. Thanks for that, Mary.

Cat(h) (still learning the English language)

So am I, who was born in England to English parents almost 69 years ago - I
don't believe that anyone will ever know everything about English :-)

Mary

You've a few years up on me: I've only been practicing full time for
about 20 years :-)
But quite apart from the new word, it is just interesting to hear of
that architectural peculiarity. I might be able to recognise it
whenever I see it, and pretend to be awfully knowledgeable :-)

Cat(h)

Old 23-11-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

It is rather an arcane subject :-)

But interesting. Thanks for that, Mary.

Cat(h) (still learning the English language)

So am I, who was born in England to English parents almost 69 years ago -
don't believe that anyone will ever know everything about English :-)

Mary

You've a few years up on me: I've only been practicing full time for
about 20 years :-)
But quite apart from the new word, it is just interesting to hear of
that architectural peculiarity. I might be able to recognise it
whenever I see it, and pretend to be awfully knowledgeable :-)

Yes, that's always great :-)

Have a look on the website for your area, you might have something you've
already seen.

Mary

Cat(h)