Old 15-12-2007, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Laying a raised lawn problem ???

I have a raised border that is about 4ft high, the depth of this
border is about 16ft.

I want to grass the whole area.

Whats the best way of going about it. Obviously the shrubs have got to
be dug out.

But then the soil will be soft.

What do I do ???
Old 16-12-2007, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thelane wrote:

I have a raised border that is about 4ft high, the depth of this
border is about 16ft.
I want to grass the whole area.
Whats the best way of going about it. Obviously the shrubs have got to
be dug out.
But then the soil will be soft.
What do I do ???

Dig any weeds/plants out.
Or, give everything a good spraying of Roundup weedkiller 3 weeks before
you want to lay the grass.

Then once it is bare earth, walk up and down it numerous times to
compact it a little. Copious use of the rake to get it as level as
possible.Walk over it again.
Lay turf, after finding a good turf supplier - some will sell you a cow
field as good turf. Get one that specifically grows it for turf.
Lay turf.No need to roller it, just (gently) walk over it to bed it down
slightly.
Leave 3 months. Get 10 bags of washed sand from a builders merchant
(~£15) and use it to fill in any gaps and hollows. Put a bit of grass
seed down where there are hollows and gaps in the turf.
Leave another month and repeat.
6 months after laying, you should have a nice flat lawn.
Alan.

Old 16-12-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

do most of the above but avoid the washed sand as it will not integrate with
ur root zone thus causing a root break.

Old 18-12-2007, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:27:23 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I have a raised border that is about 4ft high, the depth of this
border is about 16ft.

I want to grass the whole area.

Whats the best way of going about it. Obviously the shrubs have got to
be dug out.

But then the soil will be soft.

What do I do ???

Clear the area, rake it level, walk over it with your heals in several
directions, re rake it level, when you have it compacted its ready for
seed or turf, takes more time and effort than you think its going to but
its worth the time to get something flat to mow!
Give some thought as to how you are going to get the mower up onto it for
cutting, 4 feet is quite a height to lift one.
I presume you want the grass for recreational reasons not to reduce
maintainance? I say this because a mulched shrubbery is a lot less work
than grass.

My only concern is how compacted should I make the soil. Some people
say I should roller it. But its too high to get a roller onto it.

I've seen some grass that the soil has been walked on, and it is very
soft and spongy when the turf has been laid.

As I use an electric mower, I had thought for the first cut or 2 to
borrow a rollered petrol mower.

Old 18-12-2007, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:27:23 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

The walking backwards and forwards on your heels is a very effective way
of compacting the soil without over doing it. Throw a party and get a
load of you up there! If you seed it once done you will find by the time
the grass is established enough for the first cut the roots will have
started to bind the top layer. It is possible that you may have to spot
fill some subsided patches the following autumn but if you do the walking
well it will not be very much; take alook at
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/pond/pond.htm which shows how much you can
disturb the ground and get a lawn back! the grass bit only took 3 days to
finish
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-12-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Dec, 08:36, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:27:23 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

I dont know about laying a lawn, but I have just braved the arctic
winds in order to hang out some washing. While I was doing this there
was a familiar sound in the distance, but I did not take ant notice
until my brain suddenly latched on to what the noise was...

Someone down our street was mowing their lawn.

My outdoor thermometer reads 3C, and it is the 18th December. I can't
believe it, unless it is some pitch for the Guinness Book of Records,
or a letter to The Times.
Old 18-12-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 45f7db37-b02b-49d0-b702-
,
says...
On 18 Dec, 08:36, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:27:23 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

I mowed mine yesterday!! Its quite a good way of hovering up any rubbish
from other gardening work even if the grass does not realy need a cut :~)
Old 19-12-2007, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Dec, 13:46, (R)óñ(c) (c) ²°¹°-°³ wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 03:31:20 -0800 (PST),
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I dont know about laying a lawn, but I have just braved the arctic
winds in order to hang out some washing. While I was doing this there
was a familiar sound in the distance, but I did not take ant notice
until my brain suddenly latched on to what the noise was...

Someone down our street was mowing their lawn.

I have often cut my grass in deep winter.

I wait for a really heavy frost so that the ground is solid and cut
the grass as normal, although not too short, of course.
This seems to do no harm and saves churning up my fairly soggy ground,

Similarly, my golf club cuts grass on fairways and greens regularly
all winter (and their grass standards are high)

--
(R)óñ(c) (c) ²°¹°-°³

Good grief.

Only in England.

Old 16-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Registered User

If I am not too late what everyone forgot to tell you is before you lay sod or plant seed spread bone meal or super phosphate over the soil to stimulate root growth once the roots take hold. If you want to add a color border visit httpropagatingperennials.blogspot.com