Old 18-12-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cut down or glyphosphate?

Does glyphosphate work alright at this time of year?.

I have some bamboo shoots around the garden and I wish to terminate the
bamboo. Is it better to just cut down the shoots (they all have leaves
on) or to spray with the glyphosphate? Thanks for advice.

Old 18-12-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 18, 10:40 am, "johngood_____" wrote:
Does glyphosphate work alright at this time of year?.

No. It is a complete waste of time and money spraying glyphosate in
mid winter onto tough perennials. It needs sunshine and active
photosynthesis to inflict sufficient damage on the growing plant. It
will probably still harm anything delicate you accidentally overspray
even in modwinter, but it won't kill tough weeds.

Unless you want to kill couch grass in amongst leafless thorny shrubs
when it can be just about useful (although even that works better in
early spring when the grass is growing but the shrubs are still
dormant).

I have some bamboo shoots around the garden and I wish to terminate the
bamboo. Is it better to just cut down the shoots (they all have leaves
on) or to spray with the glyphosphate? Thanks for advice.

You will get much better results in early spring as the stuff is
starting to actively grow.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-12-2007, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
On Dec 18, 10:40 am, "johngood_____" wrote:
Does glyphosphate work alright at this time of year?.

No. It is a complete waste of time and money spraying glyphosate in
mid winter onto tough perennials. It needs sunshine and active
photosynthesis to inflict sufficient damage on the growing plant. It
will probably still harm anything delicate you accidentally overspray
even in modwinter, but it won't kill tough weeds.

Unless you want to kill couch grass in amongst leafless thorny shrubs
when it can be just about useful (although even that works better in
early spring when the grass is growing but the shrubs are still
dormant).

You will get much better results in early spring as the stuff is
starting to actively grow.

Yes, I'll second that. IME, glyphosate won't touch anything while the
weather is cold (I've even given up using it on couch in winter).

You may find that even in spring you need several applications if the bamboo
roots/rhizomes are extensive and deep. One problem is that the leaf area of
bamboo isn't that great compared to what may be below ground, and the amount
of glyphsate absorbed through the leaves may not be enough to finish the job
in one application.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 19-12-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message
Does glyphosphate work alright at this time of year?.

I have some bamboo shoots around the garden and I wish to terminate the
bamboo. Is it better to just cut down the shoots (they all have leaves
on) or to spray with the glyphosphate? Thanks for advice.

Dig it up and send it to me. Have you seen how much they charge for Bamboo
in the shops.