Old 20-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Dave

Default Sprayed glyphosphate on roses - advice needed

An unfortunate mix up over the contents of a spray bottle saw us spray
diluted glyphosphate over our standrad icebergs about a week ago

Many of the buds have turned brown and withered away but there are still
green buds and roses on each bush

Should we prune the damaged sections, all the shoots or leave things as they
are?

Old 20-03-2004, 02:30 AM
Tricia

Dave wrote:
|| An unfortunate mix up over the contents of a spray bottle saw us
|| spray diluted glyphosphate over our standrad icebergs about a week
|| ago
|| Many of the buds have turned brown and withered away but there are
|| still green buds and roses on each bush
|| Should we prune the damaged sections, all the shoots or leave things
|| as they are?

Prune and pray! Whilst roses are tough I'm not sure if they will be
tough enough - depends on how much you sprayed them. Good luck

--
Tricia

Old 20-03-2004, 02:30 AM
China

--
G'day Dave,
Bad luck old son, you wont do that again for a while.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 20-03-2004, 02:30 AM
Bushy

As you sprayed it a week ago, it's probably dead and waiting to fall over.
The poision is in the root system by now, but you could try pruning it to
ground level which I have done with one of mine that was hit with a small
amount of roundup and not noticed until it started to go. It has sent up
weak shots over the last two years, but none of them has stayed around for
more than a few weeks. The stump is still there and I'll continue to leave
it in the hope something will grow, maybe I'll develop a roundup resistant
strain?

The different froms of roundup (or equiv...) normally have to be applied at
least two to six hours before rain and the best thing you can do is either
prune quickly and /or wash off quickly.

If you can mix up the contents of your spray containers and kill your wanted
plants, how well are they out of the reach of children? I hope you don't
keep poisions in old soft drink bottles!

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old 20-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Tricia

Old 20-03-2004, 03:28 AM
Tricia

Old 20-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Ken Oaf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:41:54 +1100, "Dave" not on your nelly wrote:

An unfortunate mix up over the contents of a spray bottle saw us spray
diluted glyphosphate over our standrad icebergs about a week ago

Many of the buds have turned brown and withered away but there are still
green buds and roses on each bush

Should we prune the damaged sections, all the shoots or leave things as they
are?

Buy new roses. The old ones will not recover. If they did, I would be taking
the weedkiller back for a refund!

Old 21-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Andrew G

"Dave" not on your nelly wrote in message
. au...
An unfortunate mix up over the contents of a spray bottle saw us spray
diluted glyphosphate over our standrad icebergs about a week ago

Many of the buds have turned brown and withered away but there are still
green buds and roses on each bush

Should we prune the damaged sections, all the shoots or leave things as

they
are?

Don't prune it, just leave it as it is. The only benefit pruning would have
given would be if you pruned off the sprayed parts straight after it was
sprayed.
Don't fertilise it, don't over water it. In fact probably a bit less water
than you would normally give it would be best for the next couple of weeks.
Depending on the rate at which it was applied and how much foliage was
covered will depend on whether it survives, and also if the rose was old it
may have more chance of surviving.
Finally, don't give up hope, and if new shoots look deformed in the next
month or so, don't worry, just prune them off, and wait 'till next
spring/summer before you rip it out or give up.
Good luck