Old 23-06-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Squeezeweasel

Default Glyphosphate accident

Just wanted to share my cack-handedness; I very carefully sprayed all
the ground elder a few weeks ago, and it's all died back. I was pretty
sure I'd avoided touching *everything* around it with the Roundup, but
it looks like I managed to (barely) splash the established honeysuckle
which was just coming into flower, and doing such a good job of hiding
our oil tank. It's dying horribly.

I'm really upset. I feel *intensely* stupid (and I was so, so careful,
being horribly aware of the dreadful potency of our friend Mr
Roundup)), and the honeysuckle was a lovely plant. Any ideas for a
replacement? I may go with another honeysuckle, but I'm open to
suggestions; I'm after a flowering climber, not Clematis Montana or
wisteria (we have both in that part of the garden already). Given that
this happened in the wanton destruction of an aggressively spreading
weed, I think I'll give Russian vine a miss too.

Still. At least the ground elder's been beaten. For now.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Old 23-06-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Squeezeweasel

I'm really upset. I feel *intensely* stupid (and I was so, so careful,
being horribly aware of the dreadful potency of our friend Mr
Roundup)), and the honeysuckle was a lovely plant. Any ideas for a
replacement?

I've been browsing the catalogues, and was thinking of Clematis x
triternata Rubromarginata - does anyone have any experience with it?

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Old 23-06-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Squeezeweasel" writes:
| Just wanted to share my cack-handedness; I very carefully sprayed all
| the ground elder a few weeks ago, and it's all died back. I was pretty
| sure I'd avoided touching *everything* around it with the Roundup, but
| it looks like I managed to (barely) splash the established honeysuckle
| which was just coming into flower, and doing such a good job of hiding
| our oil tank. It's dying horribly.

Before you compound your idiocy, DON'T assume that you have killed
the honeysuckle. It is quite hard to kill an established perennial
(except for grasses) with one application of glyphosate. If I were
you, I would do nothing about it until next spring (late spring).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-06-2006, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Cut back into healthy growth and you may stop the spread of the glyphosate,
depends on how long ago you treated it, it will survive but not come good
till next year.
Best of luck
Cineman

ups.com...