Old 18-12-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting Cherry Laurel

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance please.

I'm having an extension built on my bunglaow - and the JCB's have totally
obliterated the garden - they were needed for digging the foundation
trenches so there was not much I could do.

I'm looking to buy a couple of mature Cherry Laurel - by mature I mean 3
meters high by 1.5 metres wide. The plants will be 'rootballed', I assume
this means delivered in a pot?

When is the best time to plant the Laurels and what should I looking to do -
eg. depth of hole, fertiliser etc?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 18-12-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"chris1471z" ?@? writes:

| I'm having an extension built on my bunglaow - and the JCB's have totally
| obliterated the garden - they were needed for digging the foundation
| trenches so there was not much I could do.

Have the builders dig them by hand? It costs extra.

| I'm looking to buy a couple of mature Cherry Laurel - by mature I mean 3
| meters high by 1.5 metres wide. The plants will be 'rootballed', I assume
| this means delivered in a pot?

Why? That doesn't sound sane.

And no. It means delivered in a hessian sack or similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/12/07 20:52, in article ,
"chris1471z" ?@? wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance please.

I'm having an extension built on my bunglaow - and the JCB's have totally
obliterated the garden - they were needed for digging the foundation
trenches so there was not much I could do.

Look upon it as a clean slate. Consider how you will plan a new garden.
Which bit is sunniest when you most want to sit in it? Do you want a
clothes line, a dog run, a sand pit for the children? At different times of
the year, do you want a barbecue area, a swing and so on. How about a
raised and stony area for herbs growing?

I'm looking to buy a couple of mature Cherry Laurel - by mature I mean 3
meters high by 1.5 metres wide. The plants will be 'rootballed', I assume
this means delivered in a pot?

No, it means they're delivered with the roots in some sacking or plastic
wrapped around them in a clod of earth. In your shoes, I'd wait until spring
to plant anything and I certainly wouldn't buy 9' laurels at what must be a
pretty steep price and plant them in winter.

When is the best time to plant the Laurels and what should I looking to do -
eg. depth of hole, fertiliser etc?

Has your supplier not advised you? If not, why not? Ask them for advice
and then, if something goes wrong, you do have some comeback if you go
ahead.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Cherry Laurel with powdery mildew and shothole Mila2015 Gardening 4 14-09-2016 09:58 PM
Cherry laurel animaux Texas 0 13-11-2003 01:12 PM
Cherry laurel animaux Texas 0 31-10-2003 11:12 PM
mountain vs. cherry laurel cubby Texas 5 11-04-2003 02:56 PM
cherry laurel?? cubby Texas 1 09-04-2003 03:56 AM