Old 22-12-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eucalyptus ficifolia

Pink Flowering Gum Tree (Eucalyptus ficifolia)
Having just seen this on another Newsgroup does anyone know if this tree
will grow in the UK, and will it flower?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-12-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" asked
Pink Flowering Gum Tree (Eucalyptus ficifolia)
Having just seen this on another Newsgroup does anyone know if this tree
will grow in the UK, and will it flower?

It's the hardiest of the really colourful eucalypts, but that's not
saying much. Grows well on Tresco where it is spectacular, and in a
few sheltered gardens in west Cornwall. It will take a very light
frost, but in general terms it's not hardy. If it was that easy,
they'd be everywhere!

I have been toying with the idea of trying one for a year or two now
(lowest air temperature so far this Winter with us has been 0 deg. C
with a light ground frost; even my Gerberas outside are still in
flower!), and I see that Chiltern have them in their latest seed
catalogue.....

A few seeds don't cost a lot so worth a try, even if it has to be kept in a
pot and brought in during frost like the Citrus trees.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-12-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:11:17 -0000
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" asked
[...]

Was trying to look it up at Celyn Vale, formerly www.eucalyptus.co.uk. I've
got some plants from them that are doing well, and the web site was a wealth
on information; but seems to be gone. Anyone know what happened to them?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 23-12-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I toyed with the idea of planting one here for a long time since it
would almost certainly be hardy enough in my part of the world. The
problem is that Corymbia (the new 'old' name for this and a fair
tranche of allied species) ficifolia does not always come true from
seed and the resultant flower colour can be variable. With a 5 - 7
year or more wait and a fair amount of space taken up in the process,
the flowers could just a easily turn out to be pale cream (usually
through hybridisation) or pink as they could the more desirable rich,
deep red or orange scarlet.

The answer might be to find a grafted plant with the scion taken from
a proven colour variant, but I suspect finding hen's teeth might be
easier in the UK. Growing several in large containers is a possible
alternative since they can be persuaded to flower in this way.
However, if I wanted to plant a good one out subsequently, there's a
danger that the root system might never develop properly after
planting with the risk of the tree coming down in a storm.
Old 23-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[quote=Emery Davis;765704]On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:11:17 -0000
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
[color=blue][i]

Was trying to look it up at Celyn Vale, formerly
www.eucalyptus.co.uk. I've
got some plants from them that are doing well, and the web site was a wealth
on information; but seems to be gone. Anyone know what happened to them?

-E

their website is as you say defunct but it's still viewable here
http://www.blueram.net/eucalyptus/homepage.asp

Old 23-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[quote=Granity;765730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis View Post
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:11:17 -0000
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
[color=blue][i]

Was trying to look it up at Celyn Vale, formerly
www.eucalyptus.co.uk. I've
got some plants from them that are doing well, and the web site was a wealth
on information; but seems to be gone. Anyone know what happened to them?

-E

their website is as you say defunct but it's still viewable here
http://www.blueram.net/eucalyptus/homepage.asp
the owner has unfortunately died. :-(
Old 23-12-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:00:58 +0000
Granity wrote:

Emery Davis;765704 Wrote:
[=]
Was trying to look it up at Celyn Vale, formerly www.eucalyptus.co.uk.
I've
got some plants from them that are doing well, and the web site was a
wealth
on information; but seems to be gone. Anyone know what happened to
them?

-E

their website is as you say defunct but it's still viewable here
http://tinyurl.com/2zg49c

Thanks for the link, Granity. Very sorry to hear of the death of the owner. I
didn't know them personally but my understanding was that it was a family
run nursery. And they certainly offered excellent service, I recommended them
to several friends.

-E

Old 23-12-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Pink Flowering Gum Tree (Eucalyptus ficifolia)
Having just seen this on another Newsgroup does anyone know if this
tree will grow in the UK, and will it flower?

No, it will probably not be hardy in the UK (possible exception of Tresco).

I grow a number of Western Australian plants, and had always said that no WA
shrubs/trees are hardy in the UK. By hardy I mean that they will survive
outside for several average UK winters without any protection. Now that
might change with our warmer winters, but don't hold your breath. Not only
that, but many of these eucalypts can't even be grown successfully in the
eastern states in Australia, as they do not like damp summers.

It will probably flower eventually in a conservatory (although I have not
tried E(C). ficifolia, I got E. preissiana to flower for several years. E.
macrocarpa only flowered once in 10 years).

If you would like to know more about Australian plants, you might find this
site of interest:
http://www.anzplantsoc.org.uk/index.php

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 31-12-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/12/07 23:36, in article ,
"Emery Davis" wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:11:17 -0000
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" asked
[...]

I regret very much that the answer is a tragic one:

"HE owner of a eucalyptus tree nursery plunged 30ft to his death from a huge
³zip² slide less than two months before he was due to be married, an inquest
heard yesterday.
Andrew McConnell, 56, had built the 300-yard long elaborate steel-rope
slide, fixed between three trees, on the 30 acres he owned at Allt-y-Celyn,
Carrog near Corwen.
When he hit the ground, he fractured his ribs which fatally punctured his
lung."
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Pink Flowering Gum Tree (Eucalyptus ficifolia)
Having just seen this on another Newsgroup does anyone know if this tree
will grow in the UK, and will it flower?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Hi Bob, i have 2 Corymbia ficifolia which i grew from chiltern seed 5 years ago, 1st year they reached 18 inches and were overwintered in pots in the greenhouse at around 5C. then repotted and in their 2nd year reached about 4 ft..they've been outside ever since in north london. when they got to 8 feet in the biggest pots i had, they stopped growing and didn't look so happy so i took the plunge and planted one out. it took a year to get used to being in the ground, and has put on about a foot of growth this year, certainly looks happier than it's very pot bound sibling. i guess they go down to about minus 3/4 C in my garden on occasion. No idea if they will flower or not. A E.globulus which i sowed at the same time and which initially went into the ground in it's first season made 45 feet in 4 years before my neighbour forced me to remove it. Now that was an impressive tree!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew bennett View Post
[...]
Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been searching the internet recently to buy this plant (in plugs) but there aren't any available in the UK. Does anyone know where I can buy this from as nothing is showing up in google! I am based in North London.
Thanks