Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A tree with apples still on it

On my round-the-block walk is a tree with apples still on it.
It's on public land and so I've eaten plenty of them - delicious!
What variety might it be?
I've never heard of an apple so late.
--
Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
On my round-the-block walk is a tree with apples still on it.
It's on public land and so I've eaten plenty of them - delicious!
What variety might it be?
I've never heard of an apple so late.
--
Chris

At our old house we had a huge Bramley Tree and that kept its apples for a
long time. The later it was in the year, the sweeter they became.

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/1/08 20:16, in article ], "Chris"
] wrote:

On my round-the-block walk is a tree with apples still on it.
It's on public land and so I've eaten plenty of them - delicious!
What variety might it be?
I've never heard of an apple so late.

Some are very late and are 'keepers', though usually picked for keeping! If
it's edible, it's unlikely to be a cooking apple like a Bramley, because
they're pretty tart when you try them.
If you can, take a photo of one on the tree, take a photo of the whole tree
and pick one, wrap it in tissue or newspaper and keep it in a cool dry
place, like a frost-free garage and if there's an Apple Day anywhere near
you, take it along for identification from an expert.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk