Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Remembrance Monday Bank Holiday petition

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Schools don;t teach recent history " because it is open to different
| interpretations"

That is not true. Both of my daughters did the second world war,
including references to the Holocaust.

There is also the distasteful fact that, for the past quarter of
a century, Remembrance Sunday has been used by politicians as an
opportunity for jingoism and as a way of claiming that they care
about dead and crippled troops without actually doing anything for
them. The original offender was, of course, you-know-who.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Both of my daughters did the second world war,
including references to the Holocaust.

They were lucky then, Nick, in the person who was their teacher.

There are some schools where a teacher may declare in the staff room
that he or she is about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust,
etc., WITHOUT getting black looks from fellow teachers. I'll leave it
to you to consider what kind of schools they are and where those schools
might be situated. But I will give you a clue: they are highly unlikely
to be state schools in large urban areas!

Eddy.

Old 13-01-2008, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eddy writes:

| They were lucky then, Nick, in the person who was their teacher.

Look at my Email address :-)

| There are some schools where a teacher may declare in the staff room
| that he or she is about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust,
| etc., WITHOUT getting black looks from fellow teachers. I'll leave it
| to you to consider what kind of schools they are and where those schools
| might be situated. But I will give you a clue: they are highly unlikely
| to be state schools in large urban areas!

The Cambridge area and, I believe, much of Scotland, are exceptions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2008, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Eddy writes:

| They were lucky then, Nick, in the person who was their teacher.

Look at my Email address :-)

| There are some schools where a teacher may declare in the staff room
| that he or she is about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust,
| etc., WITHOUT getting black looks from fellow teachers. I'll leave it
| to you to consider what kind of schools they are and where those schools
| might be situated. But I will give you a clue: they are highly unlikely
| to be state schools in large urban areas!

The Cambridge area and, I believe, much of Scotland, are exceptions.

I have difficulty understanding why

1) being about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust should be
so noteworthy as to be worthy of being declared in the staff room.

2) why doing so should be the occasion of being the recipient of black
looks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-01-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I have difficulty understanding why
1) being about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust should be
so noteworthy as to be worthy of being declared in the staff room.
2) why doing so should be the occasion of being the recipient of black
looks.

It's because "anything to do with guns and war and killing" is simply
wrong, Stewart! Guns, and war, and killing is thought to equate to
patriotism, nationalism, jingoism - and these things too equate to each
other and are also thought to be just as wrong!

I believe the attitude stems from fashion, ignorance, fear, and
irresponsibility.

Eddy.

Old 13-01-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:59:24 +0000, Eddy wrote
(in article ):

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I have difficulty understanding why
1) being about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust should be
so noteworthy as to be worthy of being declared in the staff room.
2) why doing so should be the occasion of being the recipient of black
looks.

It's because "anything to do with guns and war and killing" is simply
wrong, Stewart! Guns, and war, and killing is thought to equate to
patriotism, nationalism, jingoism - and these things too equate to each
other and are also thought to be just as wrong!

I believe the attitude stems from fashion, ignorance, fear, and
irresponsibility.

Eddy.

I should point out that as I understand it (check with the BBC if you don't
believe me) in England, teaching children about the Holocaust is
_/compulsory/, and it is not banned elsewhere in the UK.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 13-01-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 14:19, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

BUT didn't I read somewhere just recently that there is now talk of banning
such teaching because it is offensive to Muslims?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:59:24 GMT, Eddy

wrote:

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I have difficulty understanding why
1) being about to teach about the world wars and the Holocaust should be
so noteworthy as to be worthy of being declared in the staff room.
2) why doing so should be the occasion of being the recipient of black
looks.

It's because "anything to do with guns and war and killing" is simply
wrong, Stewart! Guns, and war, and killing is thought to equate to
patriotism, nationalism, jingoism - and these things too equate to each
other and are also thought to be just as wrong!

I believe the attitude stems from fashion, ignorance, fear, and
irresponsibility.

It was patriotism, nationalism, jingoism which led to the totally
unnecessary
deaths of millions in WW1.
--

Martin

Were you / Are you / Would you be a Conscientious Objector?

Kind regards

Mike

Old 13-01-2008, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| | Schools don;t teach recent history " because it is open to different
| | interpretations"
|
| That is not true. Both of my daughters did the second world war,
| including references to the Holocaust.
|
| How old are your daughters?

The younger is 22. While it is possible there has been a sea-change
in the past 8 years, I don't think there has been.

| There is also the distasteful fact that, for the past quarter of
| a century, Remembrance Sunday has been used by politicians as an
| opportunity for jingoism and as a way of claiming that they care
| about dead and crippled troops without actually doing anything for
| them. The original offender was, of course, you-know-who.
|
| Mrs T?

Hush. Speak of the devil, and ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.