Old 13-01-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naff or chic?

The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.
--
David in Normandy
Old 13-01-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.
--
David in Normandy

I've seen cactus plants like that.

Definitely naff.

Mary

Old 13-01-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan, 19:22, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Definitely naff.

I second that.
Old 13-01-2008, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.
--
David in Normandy

I've seen cactus plants like that.

Definitely naff.

One can only assume that these things were imported from some third-world
country where they pay people a pittance to glue flowers onto live plants.
Naff.

I recently bought from a garden centre a cheap remaindered Tillandsia in a
small pot. But the pot was packed with Spanish moss *dyed pink*. I am
trying to keep both the Tillandsia and the Spanish moss alive, but I don't
know if the Spanish moss will survive the dye.

someone

Old 13-01-2008, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 20:02, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

[...]

Dunk it in water and see if the dye will wash off? Run water over it in a
colander and ditto?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 13, 7:19*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.
--
David in Normandy

I bought a cacti that I thought was in flower, it wasn't, it too was
stuck on duh, I paid for my ignorance!

Old 13-01-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 19:19, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.

When my brother was an art student - long time ago! - we had an argument
along those lines. Sort of "if you see something scarlet in the hedgerow
and finding it beautiful because you think it's a flower, is it less
beautiful when you discover it's a cigarette packet?" sort of thing. I saw
his point but clearly my illusions are too easily shattered.
To me, what you describe is akin to the brightly coloured, dyed, flowers
found in garage forecourt 'bouquets' or brightly coloured glass chippings on
graves. I hate them, others love them or they wouldn't be made.
A resounding naff from us.

Old 13-01-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 13/1/08 20:02, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, I'll try it and see what happens. Just
the idea of a "remaindered Tillandsia" offends me, so I had to buy it.

someone

Old 13-01-2008, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 22:56, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 13/1/08 20:02, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

[...]

I'm in sympathy - I'm always trying to set up plant hospitals but it doesn't
go down too well here. ;-)) I've seen Spanish moss in packets in a
florist's wholesaler that I use, un-dyed, of course. I wonder if you could
buy some to replace the dyed stuff if the dunking doesn't work?

Old 13-01-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
snip

... or brightly coloured glass chippings on
graves. I hate them, others love them or they wouldn't be made.

I know I posted earlier but I just had to respond to this: how I hate those
green glass chippings too. Why can't people just plant rosemary on a grave?
There is something so depressing about the green glass stuff.

someone

Old 13-01-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 23:11, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
snip

... or brightly coloured glass chippings on
graves. I hate them, others love them or they wouldn't be made.

I know I posted earlier but I just had to respond to this: how I hate those
green glass chippings too. Why can't people just plant rosemary on a grave?
There is something so depressing about the green glass stuff.

Low maintenance=salved conscience, I'm afraid. There are a couple of graves
in our old Victorian, country churchyard with plastic flowers on. I have to
restrain myself from chucking them in the bin. Not my family, not my
flowers, not my business but definitely not 'right', either. Nothing and
nature would be kinder, IMO.

Old 14-01-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 13/1/08 19:19, in article
,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

[...]

Not just naff, its dishonest.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-01-2008, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 14, 10:35*am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:55:31 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
On Jan 13, 7:19*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
The Mrs spotted some unusual house plants in the garden
centre the other day. Small bushy green plants a bit like
box, but with small yellow flowers at the tips. Another,
similar variety had orange flowers. On closer inspection
all these flowers had been stuck on with glue!!!

The plants were real enough, just the flowers were plastic.
Surely there is a wide enough range of attractive house
plants without buying such monstrosities? Or am I being old
fashioned?

Each plant was covered in flowers - to think that someone
must have sat for ages gluing them all on.
--
David in Normandy

I bought a cacti that I thought was in flower, it wasn't, *it too was
stuck on duh, I paid for my ignorance!

One of the local big Dutch garden centres only had cacti with stuck on flowers.
I suppose there must be a lot of demand or short sighted customers.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Who are you calling "Specky" ? :-)
Old 14-01-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 14, 12:33*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:07:11 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
[...]

Whoops! I had you down as one who demanded a lot. :-)

I won't tell you asked " How do they get them all to flower at the same time?"
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

LOL

Judith