Old 18-01-2008, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn Care

Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3831/dscf2175pv2.jpg

Colin
Old 18-01-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Jan, 13:33, hammond wrote:
Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3831/dscf2175pv2.jpg

Depends on the cause.
* Did you use a "feed and weed" applicator and miss some strips?
* or over-apply something ditto? It looks like a trundle applicator
where you have overlapped in places.
* are there irrigation lines or drainage tiles burried under the soil?
* was the picture taken at the end of a wet or dry period?
* if dry, did the stripes re-grow after rain?

There's not a lot to go on. The straight lines are obviously a human
issue, and my money would be on mis-handling some sort of lawn
chemicals. can't say a lot more without knowing a lot more.
Old 18-01-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hammond" wrote
Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

Just be more careful with the lawn feed spreader, remember the bit under the
wheels doesn't get any.

Mike (been there done that)

Old 18-01-2008, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
hammond wrote
Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3831/dscf2175pv2.jpg

A mix of 3 of sand, 1 of cement.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 18-01-2008, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message
,
hammond wrote
Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3831/dscf2175pv2.jpg

A mix of 3 of sand, 1 of cement.

--
Alan

and a tin of green paint? ;-}

Mike

Old 18-01-2008, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hammond" wrote in message
Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3831/dscf2175pv2.jpg

Colin

Use a centrifugal spreader to eliminate the stripes.

Old 18-01-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for your interest. I have found it impossible to be completely
reliable when using a spreader. Tried lots of things; spreading when there
is due on the grass, so the wheel marks are visible, works quit well. I
haven't come across a centrifugal spreader, so will investigate. My best
ploy so far has been to save some dressing and fill in the missing bits
later.

Colin

Old 19-01-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Its quite simple just overlap feed with half the amount one way then the
other half the other,
but it looks more like scorch marks maybe ur spreader was letting out more
in the middle just water it and will soon grow through,
did u use a granular or liquid?
.. .

Old 19-01-2008, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jan, 11:31, "pied piper" wrote:
Its quite simple just overlap feed with half the amount one way then the
other half the other,
but it looks more like scorch marks maybe ur spreader was letting out more
in the middle just water it and will soon grow through,

.. .

"hammond" wrote in message
Any tips on avoiding this sort of thing?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3831/dscf2175pv2.jpg

Colin

You were lucky to get away with just a few stripes. When we used moss
and lawn food it nearly killed all our grass. I will never use the
moss killing products again. I think it best to use a rake, but it is
hard work and I don't have a huge lawn.
Old 14-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pied piper View Post
Its quite simple just overlap feed with half the amount one way then the
other half the other

I would just like to add to this excellent piece of advice
It really doesn't matter what type of applicator you use
Feed less, more frequently, in different directions.
TheGrassSeedStore.co.uk

Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 08:01 PM
lawn care prices. sp500 Lawns 2 29-03-2003 02:32 PM
Great Lawn Care Web Sites? gilgantic Lawns 1 24-02-2003 08:59 AM
Year Around Lawn Care Tips? gilgantic Lawns 1 19-02-2003 10:10 PM
North Carolina Red Dirt Lawn Care gilgantic Lawns 1 03-02-2003 06:22 PM