Old 18-01-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea pruning

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about winter pruning of
mophead hydrangeas. Am I right in thinking that cutting all the stems
back by half in Feb will mean no blooms this year? Do the flowers only
form at the ends of last year's stems?
Confused. Thanks for any advice
Old 18-01-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote:
There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about winter pruning of
mophead hydrangeas. Am I right in thinking that cutting all the stems back
by half in Feb will mean no blooms this year? Do the flowers only form at
the ends of last year's stems?
Confused. Thanks for any advice

Last years flower heads should be removed during late March and early
April, after any spring frost.
Dead-head by cutting away last years blooms together with the
flowering stalk down to the uppermost pair of new buds.
If your dead-headed hydrangeas are frost damaged after pruning,
just remove any blackened growth down to the next pair
of healthy buds and don't worry, your plants will recover.

MikeCT

Old 18-01-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote

"Stuart Noble" wrote:
There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about winter pruning of
mophead hydrangeas. Am I right in thinking that cutting all the stems
back by half in Feb will mean no blooms this year? Do the flowers only
form at the ends of last year's stems?
Confused. Thanks for any advice

Last years flower heads should be removed during late March and early
April, after any spring frost.
Dead-head by cutting away last years blooms together with the
flowering stalk down to the uppermost pair of new buds.
If your dead-headed hydrangeas are frost damaged after pruning,
just remove any blackened growth down to the next pair
of healthy buds and don't worry, your plants will recover.

I agree, don't prune until the hard frosts are over as the dead flower heads
protect the buds. Then you can prune back to any buds showing signs of
growth. I want mine to be restricted so prune hard.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2008, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"MikeCT" wrote
"Stuart Noble" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies
But do they flower the same year when you hard prune?
Mike says prune to the "uppermost pair of new buds". I would like to
prune to a lower pair, but not at the risk of losing this year's flowers.
Old 19-01-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/1/08 12:30, in article , "Stuart
Noble" wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"MikeCT" wrote
"Stuart Noble" wrote:
[...]

One way of dealing with hydrangeas is to do a bit each year so that you
always have some flowers on each bush. So take out half or a third this
year, depending on the size of your shrub, then ditto next year and so on.
You want to achieve a globe shape, eliminate weak and crossing stems etc.
I was certainly taught not to prune or deadhead until the danger of frost is
passed but OTOH, I used to hack my hydrangeas back when the mood took me and
they always flowered perfectly happily. That was in a very mild climate,
though, which might make the difference. Start cautiously and then see how
they get on this summer, do a bit more next year and so forth.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-01-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 12:30, in article , "Stuart
Noble" wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"MikeCT" wrote
"Stuart Noble" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Sacha. Sounds like "suck it and see", which seems to apply to a
lot of things in the end.
Old 19-01-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/1/08 17:59, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip

One way of dealing with hydrangeas is to do a bit each year so that you
always have some flowers on each bush. So take out half or a third this
year, depending on the size of your shrub, then ditto next year and so on.
You want to achieve a globe shape, eliminate weak and crossing stems etc.
I was certainly taught not to prune or deadhead until the danger of frost is
passed but OTOH, I used to hack my hydrangeas back when the mood took me and
they always flowered perfectly happily. That was in a very mild climate,
though, which might make the difference. Start cautiously and then see how
they get on this summer, do a bit more next year and so forth.

Thanks, Sacha. Sounds like "suck it and see", which seems to apply to a
lot of things in the end.

Indeed it is. But in general, a little at a time is unlikely to be
destructive. The very worst that can happen is that you have no flowers for
one year!