Old 26-10-2003, 09:22 PM
John

Default Pruning Tiger Lilies and Hydrangea?

Please excuse a newbie question - I was told by a neighbor that I should
prune back my hydrangea and tiger liles to about 6" off the ground in late
October up here in Mass. Is this true, and should I also mix in some some
fertilizer now to help next year's blooms? Thanks!

--- John

Old 26-10-2003, 10:32 PM
brianflay

None of the various species of Hydrangea require drastic or even regular
pruning, other than the removal of dead flower heads usually in the spring
along with any weak or damaged shoots. With H.macrophylla any really aged
branches can also be removed at the same time to regenerate new growths.
Tiger lilies can be cut to ground level now if you wish.. Best

Old 27-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:17:14 GMT, "John"
wrote:

Please excuse a newbie question - I was told by a neighbor that I should
prune back my hydrangea and tiger liles to about 6" off the ground in late
October up here in Mass. Is this true, and should I also mix in some some
fertilizer now to help next year's blooms? Thanks!

This site has some info on hydrangea pruning:

http://www.conweb.com/hydrangea/pruning.shtml

In zone 7b-8, I simply clip off totally spent blooms in late fall and
totally dead wood or missed blooms in late spring. Be careful,
however. Dead *looking* stems often produce new leaves and flowers.

Tiger lilies (Lilium lancifolium) do not requre pruning. The foliage
dies down after blooming and the bloom/leaf stalk may be removed after
it has browned and dried. It's done. Next year's blooms come directly
from the bulb.
Old 27-10-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:17:14 GMT, "John" opined:

prune back my hydrangea and tiger liles to about 6" off the ground in late

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/cmrec/art4.htmOn
Old 27-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Beecrofter

"John" wrote in message news:tRWmb.27100$275.44029@attbi_s53...
Please excuse a newbie question - I was told by a neighbor that I should
prune back my hydrangea and tiger liles to about 6" off the ground in late
October up here in Mass. Is this true, and should I also mix in some some
fertilizer now to help next year's blooms? Thanks!

--- John

The neighbor probably means well,
Take and remove the tiger lilly foliage right to the ground.
Leave the hydrangeas alone. ( you could remove real spindly stems
clean to the ground)
Fertilize in the spring.

[IMG] code is On

tiger lilies birdieb Gardening 8 23-12-2005 11:19 AM
PEACE LILIES WITH NO LILIES MARTY United Kingdom 1 08-12-2005 03:09 PM
transplanting Tiger Lilies Ben Tuinman Gardening 2 03-08-2004 12:18 AM
Tiger lilies? Captain Infinity Gardening 6 01-07-2004 12:02 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM