Old 27-01-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Around the world in 80 gardens

We've just watched this and have enjoyed it so much. The wonderful alleys
of cactus in Mexico and the floating gardens were such a delight - I'd never
heard of the latter at all and aren't they bright and beautiful. And the
dear little, loved and beautifully tended allotment gardens in the heart of
Cuba were inspirational in themselves.
Just from a brief trailer pic we think we recognised Lotus Land in
California but whatever he's going to show us has started so promisingly.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-01-2008, 05:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
We've just watched this and have enjoyed it so much. The wonderful
alleys of cactus in Mexico and the floating gardens were such a
delight - I'd never heard of the latter at all and aren't they bright
and beautiful. And the dear little, loved and beautifully tended
allotment gardens in the heart of Cuba were inspirational in
themselves.
Just from a brief trailer pic we think we recognised Lotus Land in
California but whatever he's going to show us has started so
promisingly.

I particularly liked the floating gardens. The labour that went into
building them is hard to imagine.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 28-01-2008, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote I particularly liked the floating
gardens. The labour that went into
building them is hard to imagine.
Pete C

London UK

It's a pity they spend so little time in each garden. the cactus and the
jungle ones where worth a show all on their own !
Jenny

Old 28-01-2008, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
We've just watched this and have enjoyed it so much. The wonderful
alleys of cactus in Mexico and the floating gardens were such a
delight - I'd never heard of the latter at all and aren't they bright
and beautiful. And the dear little, loved and beautifully tended
allotment gardens in the heart of Cuba were inspirational in
themselves.
Just from a brief trailer pic we think we recognised Lotus Land in
California but whatever he's going to show us has started so
promisingly.

I thought that far too much time was spent on architecture (especially the
Luis Barragan stuff - how many shocking pink walls can you look at?), and
far too little time on plants.

If you want an interesting read, try "1001 Gardens you must see before you
die" by Rae Spencer Jones. It covers gardens across the world, and includes
the Mexican gardens from the TV programme. I'm slowly making my way through
all the gardens - at the current rate I will live to 539...

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 28-01-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/1/08 11:43, in article ,
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

I sympathise with your view but at the same time, it was relevant to include
them, I think. But less time being spent on them, I do agree with.
However, the point surely, was the different things a garden mean to
different people in various parts of the world?
I bought that book for Ray who gave me a very funny look!

Old 28-01-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

I thought that far too much time was spent on architecture (especially
the
Luis Barragan stuff - how many shocking pink walls can you look at?), and
far too little time on plants.

SNIP

I sympathise with your view but at the same time, it was relevant to
include
them, I think. But less time being spent on them, I do agree with.
However, the point surely, was the different things a garden mean to
different people in various parts of the world?

Quite!

does a garden need to have plants in it?

pk

Old 28-01-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PK" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

I thought that far too much time was spent on architecture (especially
the
Luis Barragan stuff - how many shocking pink walls can you look at?),
and
far too little time on plants.

SNIP

I sympathise with your view but at the same time, it was relevant to
include
them, I think. But less time being spent on them, I do agree with.
However, the point surely, was the different things a garden mean to
different people in various parts of the world?

Quite!

does a garden need to have plants in it?

pk

From my Dictionary :

""Garden ... Ground for growing Fruit, Flowers or Vegetables""

so I guess ..... 'Yes'

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 28-01-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PK wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

I thought that far too much time was spent on architecture
(especially the
Luis Barragan stuff - how many shocking pink walls can you look
at?), and far too little time on plants.

SNIP

I sympathise with your view but at the same time, it was relevant to
include
them, I think. But less time being spent on them, I do agree with.
However, the point surely, was the different things a garden mean to
different people in various parts of the world?

Quite!

does a garden need to have plants in it?

pk

If it doesn't it's a just a type of organised builder's yard.

It's the wrong question, anyway. The right question is "Should a garden
have anything other than plants in it?"

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 29-01-2008, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PK wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

I thought that far too much time was spent on architecture
(especially the
Luis Barragan stuff - how many shocking pink walls can you look
at?), and far too little time on plants.

SNIP

I sympathise with your view but at the same time, it was relevant to
include
them, I think. But less time being spent on them, I do agree with.
However, the point surely, was the different things a garden mean to
different people in various parts of the world?

Quite!

does a garden need to have plants in it?

pk

Monty Don explainded their thoughts about 'plants/no plants' on Simon Mayo's
Radio 5 programme last Friday - it may still be available online (can't
remember what time the interview was aired though).