Old 28-01-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I just can't design gardens - can you help?

'Mike' wrote:

"johannes" wrote in message
.. .

'Mike' wrote:

C'mon, don't be a spoilt sport. Everybody wants to
potter in the garden!!

Wrong.

'Her out doors' might and that is why I am here; passing on information.

Me? Cover it in concrete and paint it green. (Or stick a house on it and
make some money for the next cruise)

Kindest regards

Mike

Mike, you're clearly not interested in gardening, so why do you post here?

What part of "" 'Her out doors' might and that is why I am here; passing
on information."" do you NOT understand?

Should I be able to help you please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kindest possible regards.

Mike

Mike, it was a rhetorical question. I know why you post here...
Old 29-01-2008, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 18:50, Sacha wrote:
The OP said he has no experience in garden design which does not argue a
knowledge of plants and planting or how to use them.

Indeed - he likes, as he said, 'crafting' around the garden.

*He said he didn't want
to spend much money and hopes to sell the house in July, which does not
argue money to spare for any design fees or hard landscaping, such as paths
or 'different planting' that these paths lead to. *Paving stones or bricks
cost and laying them takes time.

Never suggested to employ a garden designer. I suggested a 1 or 3 days
workshop which is less costly than books, to which I can recommend as
having myself done it. I wouldn't suggest something I haven't
experienced nor done. Laying a path doesn't take 7 month either. And
there's more to understanding your garden to give it a new look than
path, cobbles and 'different planting'. Understanding what you have to
start with and building upon this - which is what we all seem to agree
with.

*Nothing* is more ugly than some hastily thrown together bits of tat which
try to establish a 'garden'. *

I never 'hastily throw together bits of tat'. Maybe you do but I
don't. I am a professional with years of experience in working with
other horticulture/design/environmental skilled people. How one would
deduct from me saying that a bit of 'lifting' would make the garden
look better is bizarre to say the least.

You propose to make a mature, attractive,
established, weed-smothering garden in 7 months, starting in January, on a
low budget? * Sorry, no.

I have never suggested this. Again, you're not reading anything I
write.

Whilst it seems that you are preocupied with hearing your own voice
and opinion, I would take this opportunity to raise my own voice. It
is usually a bad idea to 'liberally fertilize' pumpkins as it split
them or crack them. You stop once they mature and perhaps start on a
doze of potash to make them heavier (if for competition). I just
wanted to make sure you didn't mislead any more people since you don't
have experience in growing pumpkins but still responded with an advice
which wasn't entirely sound on the 'Giant Pumpkin' thread.

Clean and tidy and some spots of colour via tubs is the only way to go for
someone who is selling a house and has no money to spare to 'lift the
garden's profile'. *He's spending his own money.

The poster has asked for design, he didn't say what petunias can I put
around my garden to make it look colourful, he/she asked for design. I
answered in a designer's capacity. If he/she had asked about hanging
baskets, I would have left this to you.
Old 29-01-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/1/08 12:30, in article
,
" wrote:

On 28 Jan, 18:50, Sacha wrote:
The OP said he has no experience in garden design which does not argue a
knowledge of plants and planting or how to use them.

Indeed - he likes, as he said, 'crafting' around the garden.

I think he *might* have meant 'grafting'= working.

[...]

This poster wants to know how to make his garden look good as cheaply as
possible before he sells it in July. As you will see from the suggestions
of others - which you are at liberty to reply to when you're not tryin to
pick a fight with me - my suggestions coincide with those who have rather
more experience than you of this type of enquiry. Here, at the nursery, we
hear this pretty often and the queries come from those willing to spend
several hundred pounds to enhance the garden of a high-end property and from
those who have just a few pounds to stretch as far as possible. As I say,
they're spending their own money, not using a public purse.

Whilst it seems that you are preocupied with hearing your own voice
and opinion, I would take this opportunity to raise my own voice. It
is usually a bad idea to 'liberally fertilize' pumpkins as it split
them or crack them. You stop once they mature and perhaps start on a
doze of potash to make them heavier (if for competition). I just
wanted to make sure you didn't mislead any more people since you don't
have experience in growing pumpkins but still responded with an advice
which wasn't entirely sound on the 'Giant Pumpkin' thread.

I think I'll take the advice of others who answered this query, if I ever
grow pumpkins. Yours does NOT seem to be the agreed upon method. It has
nothing to do with this topic, either.

Clean and tidy and some spots of colour via tubs is the only way to go for
someone who is selling a house and has no money to spare to 'lift the
garden's profile'. *He's spending his own money.

The poster has asked for design, he didn't say what petunias can I put
around my garden to make it look colourful, he/she asked for design. I
answered in a designer's capacity. If he/she had asked about hanging
baskets, I would have left this to you.

Never one to miss a chance of a swipe, Helene, are you? Some of the ideas
you come up with on here make us all wonder if you know a Pelargonium from a
Peach!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 12:40, Sacha wrote:
Never one to miss a chance of a swipe, Helene, are you? *Some of the ideas
you come up with on here make us all wonder if you know a Pelargonium from a
Peach!

You're a bitch Sacha. I do not know of this 'we' you speak off and I
want you to just leave me alone.
Old 29-01-2008, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Jenny - was 'help design garden'

On 28 Jan, 16:50, "JennyC" wrote:
I have lots of links on my homepages...... mostly for roof gardens, but they
might be of help:http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenlinks.htm

Sitting in our rooftop garden
looking down below
Sitting in our rooftop garden
waiting for the sun

Isn't it lovely watching
a plane go by
What a lovely couple
are you and I

Sitting in our rooftop garden
a few drops of rain
The lights in the city blinking on
just the same

No sugar in my coffee
how's your tea
In our rooftop garden
above the city

Let's not see any letters
let's not answer the phone
Let's just pretend that
there's no one at home

In our rooftop garden
in our rooftop garden
In our rooftop garden
up on the roof

) x
Old 29-01-2008, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On 28 Jan, 16:50, "JennyC" wrote:
[...]

LOL !!
Will put it on the site when I have a moment :~)
Jenny