Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Back from holiday

Well we are back from out trip to Egypt and Jordan and have brought
back stinking colds, Snowed in at Aman twice, the last was the day we
were due to leave, there was around 6 inches + of snow.
Came back with a few plants and seeds and loads of pics, some I will
post to have identified.
It was no rest.
Found this in a catalogue today............ Some bargain.

Peanut Plant
Arachis hypogea.
If you enjoy growing your own produce then we have the perfect plant
for you.
Easy to grow and self fertile, this amazing plant has small yellow
flowers followed by a stem (known as a peg) which grows into the soil
to begin the process of forming the well known nut.

1 plant @ £7.49

Catch you all later when I am over a stinking cold.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Well we are back from out trip to Egypt and Jordan and have brought
back stinking colds, Snowed in at Aman twice, the last was the day we
were due to leave, there was around 6 inches + of snow.

A friend of ours is working out there, David. He flew from snowy Derbyshire
to snowy Amman and I had an email this morning, saying there's still snow in
the streets!

Came back with a few plants and seeds and loads of pics, some I will
post to have identified.
It was no rest.
Found this in a catalogue today............ Some bargain.

Peanut Plant
Arachis hypogea.
If you enjoy growing your own produce then we have the perfect plant
for you.
Easy to grow and self fertile, this amazing plant has small yellow
flowers followed by a stem (known as a peg) which grows into the soil
to begin the process of forming the well known nut.

1 plant @ £7.49

Catch you all later when I am over a stinking cold.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Very bad luck. Hope you're better soon. Do you have a Dahlia called (IIRC)
Nuit d'Eté

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Wow - Unlucky !

They must be last places I would have expected snow !

Snowed in at Aman twice, the last was the day we
were due to leave, there was around 6 inches + of snow.
Actually snow on the West Bank (ie Jerusalem etc) and East Bank (Amman etc) is not so uncommon, more common than London. And it can snow. When I was in Petra, about 250km further south, but rather higher up, they had photos of snow 3 feet deep from the previous Feb. Though we were enjoying mid-winter temperatures in the range 15-20C and persistently sunny, which was very nice, but actually we were lucky. You have to remember that they are quite high up. I think Jerusalem and Amman are around 2500 feet, and Petra is perhaps at about 4000 feet. Both Lebanon and Israel have ski slopes.

There has been snow in Baghdad this year, and there was snow in Algiers last year. Now they really were a surprise.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Attached is the link for a few pictures taken on the way to the
airport at Amman on the 31st Jan. the day of our return.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...albumview=link
I don't have that dahlia Sacha
I will add pics of some of the plants in a day or so.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/2/08 11:39, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:
snip

Attached is the link for a few pictures taken on the way to the
airport at Amman on the 31st Jan. the day of our return.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...albumview=link

Good grief, David! The people there must have been absolutely astonished.
What an amazing sight.

I don't have that dahlia Sacha

I know I can get it from Parkers but I thought I'd try you first!

I will add pics of some of the plants in a day or so.

Lovely. It's always nice to see new things people see on their holidays.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:05:29 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

Welcome back David. I came back from new Zealand a month ago... with
a stinking cold also! Mine was no rest either.
Are you going to start a new "Groundnut scheme" there in Newport? You
could make a fortune selling peanut plants at that price!

Pam in Bristol