Old 07-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Location: North West England
Default North facing fence

I'm not a very good gardener - what can I plant up my north facing fence at the bottom of my garden? It's about 20 - 30 ft from the house - I can only think of clematis and ivy - is there anything else that's easy - the fence is about 6 ft high - I promise I'll keep them watered
Old 07-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Jim W

--

Parthenocissus henryana

Lots of cultivars of ivy to choose from. Camellia's do OK on a N face.
As do Wisteria.

Chaenomeles (Ornamental Quince)

Try taking a look online for 'plants for shade' as this is what you
normally by N facing fences!-)

//
Jim
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Location: North West England

thank you jim
Old 08-08-2003, 04:03 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:18:28 GMT, jayjay wrote:

I'm not a very good gardener - what can I plant up my north facing
fence at the bottom of my garden? It's about 20 - 30 ft from the
house - I can only think of clematis and ivy - is there anything
else that's easy - the fence is about 6 ft high - I promise I'll keep
them watered

Think of all those shade-lovers that you have a hard time siting
out of the sun: hostas, fuchsias, begonias, various woodland
plants, etc. Also the bigger lilies, which like cool feet but
heads in the sun. Martagon lilies especially seem to appreciate
shady conditions.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada