Old 23-01-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to plant near north facing fence

The shadow or shade is going to take out one of my most productive areas
due to a new fence.
Is there a veg. to grow there? In summer it will surely be in near total
shade.

Baz
Old 23-01-2012, 06:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
The shadow or shade is going to take out one of my most productive areas
due to a new fence.
Is there a veg. to grow there? In summer it will surely be in near total
shade.
My experience with shade from trees is that peas and beans don't flower anywhere near as well. But chard seems to be perfectly happy.

Alpine type strawberries are fine in shade, so maybe you could experiment with transplanting your strawberry bed?

Rhubarb is OK too.
__________________
Old 26-01-2012, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.9937b16
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;947924']The shadow or shade is going to take out one of my most
productive areas
due to a new fence.
Is there a veg. to grow there? In summer it will surely be in near total

shade.

My experience with shade from trees is that peas and beans don't flower
anywhere near as well. But chard seems to be perfectly happy.

Alpine type strawberries are fine in shade, so maybe you could
experiment with transplanting your strawberry bed?

Rhubarb is OK too.

Chard is a good idea. Never tried it so I will give it a go.

Baz
Old 26-01-2012, 06:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

Chard is a good idea. Never tried it so I will give it a go.
It will stand through the winter. I always sow mine in about July.

For fun, you can buy mixed packets of red, yellow, orange and white stemmed chard, which look attractive, but they all taste the same.

The stems and the leaves are both edible but need different amounts of cooking - the leaves need virtually no time in just the amount of water still left on them after rinsing. If I'm eating both at the same meal, I usually break the stems up and cook in a small amount of water, and put the leaves on top to steam. That seems to work.