Old 13-02-2008, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Des res - for a rat?

I've just cleared a Honeysuckle bush. Cut it all down to ground level,
just need to remove the routes. It must have been around a while - about 2
metres high and 2 square.

I've found that rather than the ground underneath being flat there is a
noticeable mound into which there are some holes and since I've seen rats
coming from this direction in the past I'm assuming I have a next in the
mound.

The holes don't actually look that used but then I also need to clear a shed
(or the remains of a shed - it's held up by ivy at the moment!) and the
active holes may be in there. So, lets assume there is an active nest and
I start digging it up. I could take a swipe at any rat that shows its face
and I might even get one, or two but I have to assume some will escape.

We're in a rural environment; a cluster of about 8 houses surrounded by
fields which are largely grass. Some of the hedgerows have rabbit holes in
them. Despite that the garden is of a more urban type but bigger (not
acres however).

Where is Mr Rat likely to look for his new home? The compost heap is one
option but I'll turn that in an attempt to put him off. Any other
suggestions? Any suggestions about what to do before I disturb the mound?

Old 13-02-2008, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Harrison" wrote ...
[...]

We have just purchased some super rat/mouse poison, professional stuff that
is made with peanut butter as an attractant, one meal and they die.
Expensive, had to buy 5Kg, but worth it as we may now get some peas and
sweetcorn this year.
I'm sure the other allotment holders will take some off our hands at £1 for
100g.
The two different lots of stuff from the GC didn't have any effect at all
and that wasn't cheap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-02-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:36:40 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

Where is Mr Rat likely to look for his new home?

He could join his relative on the east coast of the Isle of Wight.
Old 13-02-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 13, 11:36*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
Where is Mr Rat likely to look for his new home? * The compost heap is one
option but I'll turn that in an attempt to put him off. * Any other
suggestions? * Any suggestions about what to do before I disturb the mound?

Someone told me recently that the council will come out to dela with
rats on domestic properties.
Old 13-02-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote after...
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Where is Mr Rat likely to look for his new home? The compost heap is one
option but I'll turn that in an attempt to put him off. Any other
suggestions? Any suggestions about what to do before I disturb the mound?

Someone told me recently that the council will come out to dela with
rats on domestic properties.

Not our Council, you have to call in Rentakil or someone (at enormous cost)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-02-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"adder1969" wrote after...
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Where is Mr Rat likely to look for his new home? The compost heap is one
option but I'll turn that in an attempt to put him off. Any other
suggestions? Any suggestions about what to do before I disturb the mound?

Someone told me recently that the council will come out to dela with
rats on domestic properties.

Not our Council, you have to call in Rentakil or someone (at enormous
cost)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Pest control is free with my local council so i suggest anyone to contact
their local council and find out .

Keith