Old 28-02-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frogs

This year we have no toad spawn in the pond but loads of frog spawn. This
is unusual for us and the opposite of all previous years. I have no idea
which frogs they are but some are pretty big - probably 8" long if stretched
out. They have stripey legs, cross banded stripes, rather than vertical and
silvery chests. To me their back feet seem very large but perhaps that's
just my ignorance. I wonder if anyone knows what we have and why we have so
many of them suddenly! Where have our toads gone, I wonder!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-02-2008, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
This year we have no toad spawn in the pond but loads of frog spawn. This
is unusual for us and the opposite of all previous years. I have no idea
which frogs they are but some are pretty big - probably 8" long if
stretched
out. They have stripey legs, cross banded stripes, rather than vertical
and
silvery chests. To me their back feet seem very large but perhaps that's
just my ignorance. I wonder if anyone knows what we have and why we have
so
many of them suddenly! Where have our toads gone, I wonder!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

I expect they are at Toad Hall! I have lots of frogs too although I think
they are much the same as usual but I can't see any spawn yet. I expect it's
there somewhere

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 28-02-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
This year we have no toad spawn in the pond but loads of frog spawn. This
is unusual for us and the opposite of all previous years. I have no idea
which frogs they are but some are pretty big - probably 8" long if stretched
out. They have stripey legs, cross banded stripes, rather than vertical and
silvery chests. To me their back feet seem very large but perhaps that's
just my ignorance. I wonder if anyone knows what we have and why we have so
many of them suddenly! Where have our toads gone, I wonder!

The cross banding on the legs would indicate the native Common frog,
Rana temporaria but 8" seems a bit large even for the (larger) females.
Other identifiers are dark patches behind the eyes and two slight ridges
running down either side of the back. Colouration can be very variable.

There are some larger introduced European species in England including
the Marsh frog which are becoming more common but from memory these
don't appear until April/May. The Marsh frog is an olive green and
somewhat larger than the Common frog but as far as I am aware it has not
yet reached the SW.
--
Robert
Old 28-02-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/2/08 22:44, in article , "robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Thank you to both Roberts. I'll take a closer look tomorrow if I can. Just
now the ones we do see are in the water, doing what comes naturally so it's
just the occasional glimpse that allows me to see them. I think the biggest
I saw today was probably 8" long when he stretched right out. He really was
a huge and senior member of the colony! I don't think taking my eye down to
a memory of 6" does him real justice.

Old 29-02-2008, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 28/2/08 22:44, in article
, "robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

I think you are too soon for toad spawn, they seem to wait for the frogs
to finish and clear off before they start (probably prevents embarrassing
mix ups!!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-02-2008, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
This year we have no toad spawn in the pond but loads of frog spawn. This
is unusual for us and the opposite of all previous years. I have no idea
which frogs they are but some are pretty big - probably 8" long if
stretched
out. They have stripey legs, cross banded stripes, rather than vertical
and
silvery chests. To me their back feet seem very large but perhaps that's
just my ignorance. I wonder if anyone knows what we have and why we have
so
many of them suddenly! Where have our toads gone, I wonder!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

maybe all the toads went in the hole

Old 29-02-2008, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/2/08 08:21, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 28/2/08 22:44, in article
, "robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

It was only on reading a wildlife site yesterday that I realised both are
actually frogs, though rather different in 'structure'. It will be
interesting to see if toads do turn up because either something ate all the
toad spawn last year, or it got frosted. But we have never ever seen this
quantity of frogs. They're sounding like a mini-motorcycle convention out
there!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

In article ,
says...
Thank you to both Roberts. I'll take a closer look tomorrow if I can. Just
now the ones we do see are in the water, doing what comes naturally so it's
just the occasional glimpse that allows me to see them. I think the biggest
I saw today was probably 8" long when he stretched right out. He really was
a huge and senior member of the colony! I don't think taking my eye down to
a memory of 6" does him real justice.

He was probably a she - the females are noticeably larger.
--
Kay

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM