Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered User

Location: Rochester, Kent
Default Woodland Plants

Hi,
My wife and I own a small wood in E. Sussex, not exactly a garden I know. Identifying and learning about the plants isn't especially easy, so I wondered if you could help. If you can there will be lots of questions.
I have read the rules on posting pictures, OK, I have a little forum on my website that nobody uses so I will put my pics there.
My website can be found at http://millwoodnature.com/ but that should appear in my profile. The wood, by the way, is a chestnut coppice with oak standards. It is filling up with bluebells and wood anemones and is a lovely place to waste time.

Here's my first question, is this christmas fern? If not, can anybody tell me what it is?
http://acorns.forumandco.com/id-s-he...as-fern-t6.htm
Thank you for reading this, hope it all works.
Colin
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tell me what it is?http://tinyurl.com/2582g6

--
oaks

Hi Colin:

it is hard to see the photo clearly and I have never seen Christmas
fern
but if you look at the picture in
http://www.portableherbarium.com/Pol...stichoides.jpg
and look at the bootom of each "leaf" (pinna), you see it is
asymetrical. Polystichums look like that (sticky out bit on one side)
and it joins the stem sith a very short but clear stalk.
Check yours to see if they match.
Hard fern (Blechnum spicant) is a common woodland fern here in Ireland
but it is confusing because it has two types of frond (sterile and
fertile).
Look at the pictures in
http://www.plant-identification.co.u...um-spicant.htm
Yours also look like sterile Blechnum fronds but I am no fern expert.

Des

Old 02-03-2008, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

but if you look at the picture inhttp://www.portableherbarium.com/Polystichum-acrostichoides.jpg
and look at the bootom of each "leaf" (pinna), you see it is
asymetrical. Polystichums look like that (sticky out bit on one side)
and it joins the stem sith a very short but clear stalk.
Check yours to see if they match.
Hard fern (Blechnum spicant) is a common woodland fern here in Ireland
but it is confusing because it has two types of frond (sterile and
fertile).
Look at the pictures inhttp://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/blechnaceae/blechnum-spica...
Yours also look like sterile Blechnum fronds but I am no fern expert.

Des- Hide quoted text -

p.s it does not look like P.acrostichoides grows wild in the uk
Old 05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Rochester, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Higgins View Post
On Mar 2, 9:05*am, oaks wrote:

[...]

Thanks Des

Blechnum spicant is in the frame. The only thing is, I have been watching this fern for about six months and don't recall seeing any unusual or different fronds on it. I will go through my old photo's and see if I missed anything. Would the fertile fronds only appear at a certain time of year? Perhaps before we bought the wood in June?

I take your point about the quality of the photo's and will try and improve that.

Thanks for your help.
Colin
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 2, 9:05*am, oaks wrote:

[...]

oaks- Hide quoted text -

Let me put it another way; Blechnum is a common woodland fern that
looks just like the one in your picture; Christmas fern is not found
wild in the UK :-). The sterile fronds of Blechnum are mainly what
you see when you find it. The fertile ones presumeably come out
seasonally but I do not know when. Google it? There is lots of info,
once you know the species.

Des

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes

Let me put it another way; Blechnum is a common woodland fern that
looks just like the one in your picture; Christmas fern is not found
wild in the UK :-). The sterile fronds of Blechnum are mainly what
you see when you find it. The fertile ones presumeably come out
seasonally but I do not know when. Google it? There is lots of info,
once you know the species.

Not just season but also maturity of fern. I agree, these look like
Blechnum. Nice thing to have, even if it is relatively common,
--
Kay
Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Rochester, Kent

Hi,
I am finding it difficult to get this information via googling. If anyone does know when I should see fertile fronds i.e. springtime or all year round I would be gratefully to know.
Thanks
Colin
http://millwoodnature.com/