Old 13-03-2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default Virgin gardener needs container veg help!

On Mar 12, 9:45*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

In article wildbilly-B84ED0.11100811032008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
*Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

In article 87099bff-28f8-4e2b-8610-cdc731f73502
@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...

2. Sounds daft, but am I right in assuming I dont need very deep
containers/ troughs for the peas and dwarf beans? Also, do I need
stakes in whilst seedlings or do I just add as they get bigger?

My first gardening year, I planted my peas and beans in 6" deep troughs.
I got a pretty good pea harvest but the slugs ate all my beans. They ate
all my beans last year too and this year I'm going to buy nematodes, and
grow climbing beans instead. Peas don't seem to need deep roots. I added
my stakes as the peas came up, rather than straight away, and did okay.

You can grow climbing French beans and runner beans in tubs - you'll
need some long canes but the flowers are pretty. I'm planning on having
a tub of each by the front door and a tub or two of each in the back
garden. If I get lots of beans I won't mind if people nick 'em, and if I
don't, there won't be any to steal!

USE IRON PHOSPHATE BAIT

I tried that last year. To no avail.

Very odd. Worked like a charm for me. It is best applied when the ground
is still moist (early spring). I've seen one snail (very small) this
year and no slugs, where once there where large herds of the critters.

Let us know know the nematodes work out for you.
--

Billy

Iron phosphate worked, I think.

Has anyone tried coffee grounds on slugs? Someone recommended that to
me. I guess it makes their little tummies sore so they don't like to
crawl across it.
Dora

Old 13-03-2008, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
bungadora wrote:

On Mar 12, 9:45*am, Billy wrote:

*Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

[...]

Yeah, coffee grounds, egg shells, sawdust, cocoa shells, sand, it all
works until it gets wet.

Was Dora the cow on the Howdy Doody Show?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 13-03-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"bungadora" wrote
Has anyone tried coffee grounds on slugs? Someone recommended that to
me. I guess it makes their little tummies sore so they don't like to
crawl across it.

Yes, it worked in our front garden where we had a serious snail problem. I
understand from recent research slugs and snails do not like caffeine.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-03-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 12, 7:42*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*bungadora wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:45*am, Billy wrote:

*Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

[...]

Same with iron phosphate though.

Was Dora the cow on the Howdy Doody Show?
--

I'm afraid I do not know. I have never watched the show and it was
never telecast in my local area as a child, thank heavens. I can't

The name Dora seems to be popular in cartoons for some reason. There
was one in the 20's called Dumb Dora. I usually get 'Dora the
Explorer' these days. Please don't ask me if I play with my monkey.
Dora