Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrubs for Windy area

In article ,
wind'n'stone writes:

| Thanks everyone. Like the idea of planting some ash. willow, birch in
| with the beech hedge to try and create some form of windbreak.

I would definitely go for more wind-resistant plants for the actual
windbreak. None of beech, ash or willow are good against wind (dwarf
willows excepted, and they are too small). Look up Inverewe and see
what was done there.

| Could build up a Holly hedge from the edge of the Beech hedge. A friend
| has given me some juniper to try.

Holly (and bamboos) won't thrive in those conditions, though they may
grow. Juniper can take wind, but may find your soil a bit acid.

| Scots Pine - would love to try this but does it not need deep roots and
| wettish soil??

No, though it may well grow as a sort of bonsai, as someone pointed out.
Look at what grows naturally in the Highlands.

| G hod idea as it grows well in this area (West Coast - 25miles inland
| though) butHave loads of gorse/broom and whin in the fields - would
| rather try something else.

Probably acid, then, though not necessarily.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.