Old 17-03-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default leaf mould

Each autumn I bin up about a cubic metre of oak leaves in an attempt
to get them to rot down.

I started off with a wire mesh cage, then moved on to some bulk
builders bags. I'm now back to a better, larger mesh cage.

Neither of these methods is particularly efficient because the leaves
dry out too easily, and after 18 months half the pile doesn't seem to
have rotted at all.

Should I be turning the pile and watering it like a compost heap or is
it best to let it compact down. How about an activator?
Old 17-03-2008, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

andyv says...
Each autumn I bin up about a cubic metre of oak leaves in an attempt
to get them to rot down.

I started off with a wire mesh cage, then moved on to some bulk
builders bags. I'm now back to a better, larger mesh cage.

Neither of these methods is particularly efficient because the leaves
dry out too easily, and after 18 months half the pile doesn't seem to
have rotted at all.

Should I be turning the pile and watering it like a compost heap or is
it best to let it compact down. How about an activator?

Oak leaves can take a year or two to rot down, but they
have to be kept moist. Depending on the proximity of
neighbours to your heap - urine is a good compost
accelerator - and free too :-)
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 17-03-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"andyv" wrote in message
Each autumn I bin up about a cubic metre of oak leaves in an attempt
to get them to rot down.

I started off with a wire mesh cage, then moved on to some bulk
builders bags. I'm now back to a better, larger mesh cage.

Neither of these methods is particularly efficient because the leaves
dry out too easily, and after 18 months half the pile doesn't seem to
have rotted at all.

Should I be turning the pile and watering it like a compost heap or is
it best to let it compact down. How about an activator?

Several options ....

keep turning and watering

use a shredder before putting on the heap

put into large dustbin bags and leave to rot

Jenny

Old 17-03-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 Mar, 17:58, "JennyC" wrote:
"andyv" wrote in message

Each autumn I bin up about a cubic metre of oak leaves in an attempt
to get them to rot down.

I started off with a wire mesh cage, then moved on to some bulk
builders bags. I'm now back to a better, larger mesh cage.

Neither of these methods is particularly efficient because the leaves
dry out too easily, and after 18 months half the pile doesn't seem to
have rotted at all.

Should I be turning the pile and watering it like a compost heap or is
it best to let it compact down. How about an activator?

Several options ....

keep turning and watering

use a shredder before putting on the heap

put into large dustbin bags and leave to rot

Jenny

A few years ago. when I was working in Cardiff, I was down the local
park and they had been sweeping up all the soggy leaves from the
paths, I was told to help myself so I went back and filled around 20
black sacks with nice wet leaves. by April I had some very well rotted
compost, but they do loose a great deal of their bulk, probably enough
to fill 3 black bags in the end.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 18-03-2008, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"andyv" wrote in message
Each autumn I bin up about a cubic metre of oak leaves in an attempt
to get them to rot down.

I started off with a wire mesh cage, then moved on to some bulk
builders bags. I'm now back to a better, larger mesh cage.

Neither of these methods is particularly efficient because the leaves
dry out too easily, and after 18 months half the pile doesn't seem to
have rotted at all.

Should I be turning the pile and watering it like a compost heap or is
it best to let it compact down. How about an activator?

Several options ....

keep turning and watering

use a shredder before putting on the heap

put into large dustbin bags and leave to rot

Jenny

or mix some lawn clippings in

rob

Leaf collection for leaf mould michael United Kingdom 8 07-11-2009 06:26 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Leaf mould Rufus United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:50 AM
leaf mould Alan and Liz United Kingdom 5 21-11-2002 04:10 PM
leaf mould Rob United Kingdom 12 13-11-2002 06:27 PM