Old 16-04-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I need help identifying a weed and getting rid of it

I've taken a couple of pics which you can see here;
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3491/weed1ex8.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2684/weed2qr9.jpg

The flower beds are getting infested with it and I need to find away of
getting rid of it without taking out the lawn (which happened with a heavily
advertised weed killer)

I can dig out some but not all of it as the majority of it grows under
hedges and amongst a couple of hebes.

TIA

Dave

Old 16-04-2008, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/4/08 11:19, in article
, "Šave" wrote:

I've taken a couple of pics which you can see here;
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3491/weed1ex8.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2684/weed2qr9.jpg

The flower beds are getting infested with it and I need to find away of
getting rid of it without taking out the lawn (which happened with a heavily
advertised weed killer)

I can dig out some but not all of it as the majority of it grows under
hedges and amongst a couple of hebes.

I'm afraid it's ground elder and it's a most pernicious and persistent
creature! To be honest, while there are organic methods of dealing with it
they take a longish time and in the meantime it's still spreading. While
it's still relatively controllable I would suggest you use weed killer on
it, being careful to spray on a totally still, windless day, avoiding drift
onto the plants you want to keep.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-04-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 16, 11:19 am, Šave wrote:
I've taken a couple of pics which you can see here;http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3...4/weed2qr9.jpg

The flower beds are getting infested with it and I need to find away of
getting rid of it without taking out the lawn (which happened with a heavily
advertised weed killer)

Glyphosphate (e.g. roundup) works well on ground elder BUT it works
even better on grass so you have to spray very very carefully near
lawns or put up with dead patches of grass until you get rid of the
ground elder and then repair patches. The roundup DOES work but you
have to patient and do it 2-3 times (every few weeks until you get rid
of it).
I have had it in the last 3 gardens I had and got rid of it each time
and then you only need to use a tiny amount once every few years to
catch ones that re-appear.
You can try digging it out but the initial impact is to make it angry
and it comes back even more vigourously than before. I have no gound
elder now and have not had to use roundup for a few years.

Old 16-04-2008, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 16, 12:55 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article d71d513a-f0eb-4bdb-9eb5-
,
says... Glyphosphate (e.g. roundup) works well on ground elder BUT it works
even better on grass so you have to spray very very carefully near
lawns or put up with dead patches of grass until you get rid of the
ground elder and then repair patches. The roundup DOES work but you
have to patient and do it 2-3 times (every few weeks until you get rid
of it).

I would only add that if you use a sprinkle bar rather than spray you are
far less likely to damage surrounding plants

Or, if you have time, get down on yer hands and knees with a
paintbrush. I did the latter once and ended up splashing more on
adjoining plants than by spraying (trying to get bindweed). I ended
up with a very ill looking gooseberry bush. I rarely use glyphosphate
now (do not have any in the shed) as the ground elder is gone for now
and the bindweed is kind of at bay. I guess you would be nervous
spraying too close to one of yer prized Clematis.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Old 17-04-2008, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Šave" wrote in message
I've taken a couple of pics which you can see here;
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3491/weed1ex8.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2684/weed2qr9.jpg

The flower beds are getting infested with it and I need to find away of
getting rid of it without taking out the lawn (which happened with a
heavily advertised weed killer)

I can dig out some but not all of it as the majority of it grows under
hedges and amongst a couple of hebes.

A posh restaurant near Lechlade, Glos. serves ground elder as a green
vegetable, it's quite tasty.

someone