Old 20-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Clinton A. Pierce

Default Need help identifying weed

I have an infestation of this plant in my flower beds and it's now
spilling over into my lawn. I need to eradicate it, but would like to
identify it so I use the right method. I've surfed the web for common
weeds, and I can't find anything exactly like this.

Photo:
http://www.camfriends.org/users/clintp/weed.jpg

I'm in the Detroit area. The plant is about 2-3 inches tall and grows
in a dense and spreading cluster. Each 3-leaf cluster grows from an
individual stem that goes into the ground. It seems to thrive in sun
or shade, and spreads very very quickly.

The leaves *look* like parsley, but the rest of the plant has no
similarities at all. The plant itself looks like clover, but the
leaves are wrong.

Thank you!
Old 20-07-2004, 09:02 AM
peter_may_day

Hmmm.. Your picture is very scientific. Have you sequenced its DNA. lol!
Perhaps a picture of the whole plant, still in the ground, would be easyer
to ID.

--
peter_may_day

Directory of unlisted phone numbers

--
om...

Old 20-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Frank Logullo

"Clinton A. Pierce" wrote in message
om...
I have an infestation of this plant in my flower beds and it's now
spilling over into my lawn. I need to eradicate it, but would like to
identify it so I use the right method. I've surfed the web for common
weeds, and I can't find anything exactly like this.

Photo:
http://www.camfriends.org/users/clintp/weed.jpg

Looks like ground ivy to me:
http://www.aces.edu/Tallapoosa/weed-...ground-ivy.htm
I pull it and spot spray. It's a real pest.
Frank

Old 20-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Cereus-validus

It doesn't look at all like "Ground Ivy".

Note the leaf is three lobed unlike those unlobed ones of your you know
what.

Your reckless misidentification is proof that we need to see the whole
plant. Nobody can identify a plant with any certainty from a single leaf. A
picture of it with flowers would be especially helpful.

Having said that, my money would be on Ranunculus bulbosa or R.repens.
Anybody want to double down?

Old 20-07-2004, 03:03 PM
David Hill

If you were in the UK I would say Buttercup

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bill R

Clinton A. Pierce wrote:
I have an infestation of this plant in my flower beds and it's now
spilling over into my lawn. I need to eradicate it, but would like to
identify it so I use the right method. I've surfed the web for common
weeds, and I can't find anything exactly like this.

Photo:
http://www.camfriends.org/users/clintp/weed.jpg

I'm in the Detroit area. The plant is about 2-3 inches tall and grows
in a dense and spreading cluster. Each 3-leaf cluster grows from an
individual stem that goes into the ground. It seems to thrive in sun
or shade, and spreads very very quickly.

The leaves *look* like parsley, but the rest of the plant has no
similarities at all. The plant itself looks like clover, but the
leaves are wrong.

Thank you!

It looks like it might be Buttercup. Did you see small
yellow blooms on it in the spring? If so, it is definitely
Buttercup. It blooms mainly in the spring and it spreads
like crazy.

I had an area where it was growing them and decided to turn
that area into a spot for annuals and (thought) I dug all of
them out. For several seasons after that I was digging them
out and still see one pop up now and then.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 20-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Frank Logullo

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
It doesn't look at all like "Ground Ivy".

Note the leaf is three lobed unlike those unlobed ones of your you know
what.

Your reckless misidentification is proof that we need to see the whole
plant. Nobody can identify a plant with any certainty from a single leaf.

picture of it with flowers would be especially helpful.

Tempted to call you an asshole but this is a nice group so you just have a
nice day
Frank

Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Clinton A. Pierce

Bill R wrote in message ...
Clinton A. Pierce wrote:
[...]

After looking closely at many, many pictures on the web you are
correct: it is a buttercup. To back this up:

* It's growing in my flower bed and lawn where the downspouts empty
out. According to everything I've just read buttercup thrives in
moist environments.
* It had a very, very few small yellow flowers in the early spring
(I forgot about those!). For maybe a 6 sq. foot area, maybe a
half-dozen flowers.

And it does indeed spread like crazy.

Now I can do some looking around to see how to get rid of it.

Thank you!
Old 21-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Oh Franko, don't be such a prissy fuss pot.

Be man enough to admit you made an obvious mistake and don't make a complete
fool of yourself by being so petty.

Its bad enough you can't tell the difference between a buttercup and "ground
ivy". I bet nobody would dare sent you out grocery shopping. Who knows what
you would bring back?!!!!

Old 21-07-2004, 06:03 AM
peter_may_day

http://horticulture.unh.edu/text/PreSchool/Weeding.pdf