Old 18-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered User

Smile Grass condition

My garden runs along a railway line, and for that reason I suffer from continous weed problems.There is no weed control on that side of the fence and all sorts of wild plants/weeds florish. My lawn is in a terrible state and I have contemplated removing the old grass and laying new. Will I be wasting my time and money? Or can the lawn I have be rescued?

Cheers
Old 18-04-2008, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass condition

"Dazza" wrote...

My garden runs along a railway line, and for that reason I suffer from
continous weed problems.There is no weed control on that side of the
fence and all sorts of wild plants/weeds florish. My lawn is in a
terrible state and I have contemplated removing the old grass and
laying new. Will I be wasting my time and money? Or can the lawn I have
be rescued?

Usually it can, I've managed it in the past.
With normal weeds use some of the "Weed and Feed" products and keep doing it
this year and you will be surprised how the grass will respond. You will
then need to use such products every year thereafter to ensure the weeds
don't again take over. Eventually you may be able to get away with manually
removing a few dandelions etc each year.
If Moss is your problem it is a sign of bad drainage, this may be overcome
with spiking and a topdressing of a very sandy mixture or if it's really bad
may need serious ground work before a new lawn is laid.
New turf will be free of weeds because the producers use products similar to
those mentioned above but the weeds will come back as bad as ever eventually
if you don't keep up it's use. A new seeded lawn will come up full of weeds
as the seed is already in your soil.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Water condition Pen Ponds (moderated) 6 08-03-2009 06:57 PM
poplar condition Steve Wolfe Gardening 4 22-06-2006 05:07 AM
alternative for large lawn in bad condition tenplay Gardening 9 26-08-2005 11:47 AM
fish condition NewbieBill Ponds 7 07-04-2004 07:03 PM
Shear & Saw Condition Babberney Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM