Old 23-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Paul D.Smith

Default Settling rhubard crowns

Any tips for handling rhubard crowns? Should I prepare the ground in any
special way before planting etc?

Thanks,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 23-04-2003, 08:58 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Plenty of well rotted manure and/or compost. Bit late now to be planting
crowns or are they in pots?

From the English Riviera If you live in Paradise why would you want to go
abroad for a holiday? Answers on a postcard to
http://www.cornishlight.freeserve.co.uk/rame.htm

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
: Any tips for handling rhubard crowns? Should I prepare the ground in any
: special way before planting etc?
:
: Thanks,
: Paul DS.
:
: --

Old 23-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these words:

Any tips for handling rhubard crowns? Should I prepare the ground in any
special way before planting etc?

Dig a BIG WIDE hole for each crown and fill it with well rotted muck
and compost-heap contents, plant the crown in it and water in well. Each
year, mulch well with more muck. It's a hungry root, supporting huge
annual growth above ground, so you can't overfeed rhubarb. The taste and
tenderness difference between well-fed rhubarb and unfed rhubarb is well
worth the effort.

Janet.