Old 18-03-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 101 Weevil Grubs and the Rhubard

Hi All

I have just been out to move my rhubard plant into the sun and decided to
take the top layer of dirt off to renew with some fresh. When I started to
dig I noticed weevil grubs so started to pick them off. I got out as many
as I can but that is without further down the pot and near to the crown. In
the end I counted 101 of the things. The rhubard is growing so need I apply
anything to kill them, or should I take further action against the critters?

Any help appreciated

Donna

Old 18-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna UK View Post
Hi All

I have just been out to move my rhubard plant into the sun and decided to
take the top layer of dirt off to renew with some fresh. When I started to
dig I noticed weevil grubs so started to pick them off. I got out as many
as I can but that is without further down the pot and near to the crown. In
the end I counted 101 of the things. The rhubard is growing so need I apply
anything to kill them, or should I take further action against the critters?
How did you know they were grubs specifically of weevils? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weevil Weevils are mainly noted for damaging dry stored stuff like grain and nuts. (Some things commonly called weevils, aren't, like the cork weevil which damages wine corks, but is actually a moth.) But there are also leaf weevils that eat leaves. And there is the infamous vine weevil whose grubs eat plant roots (and the adults the leaves), and are fond of pot plants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_vine_weevil We had them in our christmas cactus.

Whatever they were, why do you need to get rid of them? Were they actually eating the rhubarb?

It sounds like your rhubarb is in a pot. Any reason you are not growing it in the ground? I think it might be happier there.

You can get specific pesticides for dealing with vine weevils, mainly for pot-grown plants. You need to water the stuff in about every 4 months. It's quite expensive.
Old 18-03-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

I have just been out to move my rhubard plant into the sun and decided to
take the top layer of dirt off to renew with some fresh. When I started to
dig I noticed weevil grubs so started to pick them off. I got out as many
as I can but that is without further down the pot and near to the
crown. In
the end I counted 101 of the things. The rhubard is growing so need I
apply
anything to kill them, or should I take further action against the critters?

Yes, of course you must, if they really are weevil grubs. If you don't,
the bleeders'll be breeding and spreading everywhere.

You can get a biological control for them - someone will be along any
minute with the URL - if not you can gargle for it.

--
Rusty
Old 18-03-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna UK wrote:
Hi All

I have just been out to move my rhubard plant into the sun and decided to
take the top layer of dirt off to renew with some fresh. When I started
to dig I noticed weevil grubs so started to pick them off. I got out as
many as I can but that is without further down the pot and near to the
crown. In the end I counted 101 of the things. The rhubard is growing
so need I apply anything to kill them, or should I take further action
against the critters?
Any help appreciated

Donna

Are you moving your rhubarb into the sun because you've already cropped what
you need to, and won't be taking any new stems to eat this year? If so,
then you can treat it with one of the "cloprid" agents (such as
Imidocloprid - "Provado", or one of the newer ones). These are active
against weevils. I would advise against using any chemicals if you intend
eating the rhubarb in the near future.

Mind you, with the infestation you have, it might be cheaper to wash off all
the soil (into a bucket containing something nasty which will put paid to
the weevils) and start again with clean, weevil-free soil.

--
Jeff

Old 18-03-2009, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to dig the rhubard out of the pot
and put it in some new vine weevil free compost.

The reason it is grown in a pot is as we have no room for it in the garden
and the boyfriend and I are currently looking for our own place so its kind
of a temporary home for it. Its been moved into the sun as over winter I
had it in a place that was more protected from getting too wet and cold, so
its now moving into the sun to get a good growth on so I can eat some yummy
rhubard

Old 19-03-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to dig the rhubard out of
the pot
and put it in some new vine weevil free compost.

Wash it thoroughly - there may be eggs...

The reason it is grown in a pot is as we have no room for it in the garden
and the boyfriend and I are currently looking for our own place so its kind
of a temporary home for it. Its been moved into the sun as over winter I
had it in a place that was more protected from getting too wet and cold, so
its now moving into the sun to get a good growth on so I can eat some yummy
rhubard

When you get somewhere permanent-ish, split the outside growth from the
crown and plant those.

You can use the middle for forcing - afterwards, throw it away.

--
Rusty
Old 19-03-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you Rusty, will remember that

Old 20-03-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

Thank you Rusty, will remember that

What? I've forgotten...

--
Rusty

Old 20-03-2009, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

Yes, of course you must, if they really are weevil grubs. If you don't,
the bleeders'll be breeding and spreading everywhere.

You can get a biological control for them - someone will be along any
minute with the URL - if not you can gargle for it.

You can also get compost containing a chemical which kills the grubs -
might be an idea if you're growing it in pots?

Look for 'Levington Container & Hanging Basket Compost with Vine Weevil
Control'

Jeff
NE England
Old 21-03-2009, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

lol, about splitting the crown up and then using the middle for forcing once
I can get it planted in the garden

Old 21-03-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Jeff contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

Yes, of course you must, if they really are weevil grubs. If you don't,
the bleeders'll be breeding and spreading everywhere.

You can get a biological control for them - someone will be along any
minute with the URL - if not you can gargle for it.

You can also get compost containing a chemical which kills the grubs -
might be an idea if you're growing it in pots?

Look for 'Levington Container & Hanging Basket Compost with Vine Weevil
Control'

Ok on decoratives like flahs, but not for combustib^h^h^h^h^commestibles
like rooooobarb.

--
Rusty