Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cab Cab is offline

Default Polluted soil repair?

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

--
Cab
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cab" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

--
Cab

Chuck some more buckets of clean water over it and it should dilute it.
Water based not too much problem I wouldn't think

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cab" wrote
I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Personally I'd phone the Paint Co and ask their help desk, it must be on the
can.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cab" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

yawn what an imbecile do u want to ask how to breathe also godddddddd

Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cab Cab is offline

'Mike' wrote:

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some
painting using water based paints and had just washes the brushes,
etc, in a bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over
a patch of soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now
I'm on vision only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is
now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair
itself? Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

-- Cab

Chuck some more buckets of clean water over it and it should dilute
it. Water based not too much problem I wouldn't think

That's what I thought. Now I've got to convince SWMBO.

--
Cab

Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 01/05/08 22:43, Cab wrote:
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Well, has it killed off any weeds? That might indicate if it is harmful
or not to plant life.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cab" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

I sometimes rinse brushes out over the garden, water based paint, and it
doesn't seem to do any harm to the plants (succulents). If you are worried
mix in a fair amount of compost and that will help clean up any damage done.

rob

Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cab Cab is offline

Ed wrote:

On 01/05/08 22:43, Cab wrote:
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some
painting using water based paints and had just washes the brushes,
etc, in a bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over
a patch of soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now
I'm on vision only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is
now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair
itself? Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Well, has it killed off any weeds? That might indicate if it is
harmful or not to plant life.

Heh, I'd only turned over the soil a couple of days ago, so no weeds as
yet.

--
Cab :^) - I'm dyslex-spic apparently
Z1000ABS
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cab Cab is offline

George.com wrote:

"Cab" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some
painting using water based paints and had just washes the brushes,
etc, in a bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over
a patch of soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now
I'm on vision only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is
now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair
itself? Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

I sometimes rinse brushes out over the garden, water based paint, and
it doesn't seem to do any harm to the plants (succulents). If you are
worried mix in a fair amount of compost and that will help clean up
any damage done.

rob

Ta. Most of the replies I've got so far, seem to point in the direction
that it's not too much of a problem.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 1, 10:43*pm, "Cab"
wrote:
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

You don't say what colour, but unless it was a lead based paint the
net effect is negligible (these days only used by professionals with
special license for listed buildings). And even then I would only
really be worried about growing leaf vegetables that could be
contaminated by splashing.

Modern water based paint will include some titanium oxide white
pigment and some other coloured pigments will be adsorbed into the
clays and the organic component will evaporate or decompose in
sunlight.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Dig it over to hide the evidence :-)

Unlikely to have any other effect at all unless you are looking to
have Organic(TM) grower status.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , haleend2002
@yahoo.com says...

"Cab" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I'd finished some painting
using water based paints and had just washes the brushes, etc, in a
bucket of water. I, inadvertently, poured this water over a patch of
soil in the garden (yes, yes, I know, I know) and now I'm on vision
only with SWMBO as she's complaining that the soil is now polluted.

What's the score? How long would it take for the soil to repair itself?
Is there anything I can do to help it out?

Any assistance gratefully received.

yawn what an imbecile do u want to ask how to breathe also godddddddd

I do like a well-thought out, literate post. Sadly, yours isn't one of
them.